Chapter 22

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 22

Roan

I couldn't get away from the Bradford's fast enough. I'm so sick of the nagging and bitching about how horrible Adam is and how they won't let him get away with what he's done.

Yeah, good luck with that.

I ditched my dad, uncle Dillon and Bailey. I don't need to be told again that I need to stay away from trouble. I am trouble. They just never wanted to see me as I am. That's their problem not mine.

Heading to the pier, I know I can get a fix there and I can escape for a while. I don't want to think about what dad told me today. I don't want to think about what I should do next. I just want to forget who I am, who he is and relax for a while.

The pier is hopping tonight. Even this late, there's plenty of people around here. The Ferris wheel is lit up and slowly spinning around, there's music and voices everywhere at once. The bright lights of the midway makes anyone forget the sun set hours before.

I have a plan. I have a way to get myself out of the mess I'm in. Heading past the people and the smell of roasted nuts and popcorn, I move into the shadows where most prefer to avoid. The shadows hide the seedier side of the pier. The side that holds mystery and danger if you don't know your way.

But I've been here plenty of times since moving out to the coast. My world doesn't end on campus. I've come to find my life is much more interesting out here. Except now I'm in debt. A debt that Aiden and his family owe me. I'm not going to be responsible for their doing.

"I'm surprised to see you, boy." The cold voice cut through the shadows as he stepped into the light. "Did you bring the money you owe?"

Taking in every detail this time, I'm determined not to get my ass kicked again by this jerk. A thug! That's what he is. With his dark eyes that hide any emotion to that weird tattoo on his arm. He blends in here, better than I thought he would.

"I'm working on it. I was hoping we could work something out." I was so focused on the man in front of me, I didn't see the two come up from behind me.

The cold metal in my side told me negotiation isn't on the table. "You're wasting my time, Tateman. I told you on the island what you need to do. The boss man isn't going to just write off the hundred grand. You took the drugs. You don't have them to give back. You don't have the money you owe. What use are you to us if you can't pay your debts?"

"I have information." At least I hope it's something he doesn't know yet.

"About?" I feel a poke and a burn on my neck. Suddenly I felt something warm running down my neck.

The son of a bitch cut me!

"The girl he wants out of the picture. Riley." Pausing, I wait to see if he's interested in what I know.

"And?"

"She told his son that she's leaving for Arizona after the funeral. She told him she didn't want to cause more trouble for them." It's not like the conversation didn't happen. It's not like I care if Bradford loses her. He deserves a little heartache given how many girls he hurt.

"And his kid? Is he going after her?" I at least got his attention now.

"I don't know. But she's cracking under the pressure. She just needs one good push and she'll break it off and Bradford will be done with her." I know how these guys work. They'll push Riley and Bradford will never hear from her again.

"Okay, I'll bite. Why are you telling me this?" The beefy arms crossed over his chest and the tattoo took on a whole other look. I've seen that design before. I just don't know where.