Wednesday: Healing

Bella makes her way to her healer's class and settles into her usual seat. Sarah and Charlotte arrive just as she pulls her supplies for the class. 

The late bell rings and all the students are quietly whispering as they wait for Nurse Genia.

She walks in followed by another lady in a pair of khakis and a blue blouse. "Hello, class, today we will be having a guest speaker. Now, I'm sure all of you got the reading done so can anyone tell me what was the general theme of the chapter without looking at your books or notes?" Hands shoot up all over the classroom. "Mr. Nudge."

"They are all spells used to monitor a pregnancy. The chapter also covered the two pregnancy potions that allow same sex Witch and Wizard couples to have children."

"Correct. Now, Nurse Thelma here is going talk to you about daily life for a maternity ward nurse."

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen." The lady says from her chair. "While I'm not on Maternity leave. I'm usually helping mothers and fathers prepare for and monitor the health of their unborn child. Although it can be very tiring at times the end results are quite rewarding to see those parents looking down at their newborn with these big smiles on their faces."

"As a maternity nurse, I am assigned expecting couples and sometimes their surrogates until after they go home with their new family member. It is my job to make sure that the baby is developing correctly and that any potential medical issues are addressed and that treatment options are discussed if there could be an issue with the birth of the baby or if the baby could come out with a medical issue."

"There is also the case of first time parents. These couples have a lot more questions and will often ask for advice on how to properly prepare themselves and their homes for the incoming child. They will be stressed, and it is very important to help them calm down especially the mother or surrogate as the stress can harm the unborn child."

"The important thing when trying to calm first time parents is ro help them understand that no one is perfect and they shouldn't expect to be either. Parenthood is about trial and error and the best thing they can do is make sure their child is happy from the day they are born. You can also point them toward some books that will help them understand what exactly they need to know when the baby arrives. It may also help for them to attend some NoMaj parenting class which covers what a baby needs for the first few months of their lives."

"And just so you know even working in a maturnity ward will not prepare you for parenthood and no matter how many children a couple has each pregnancy and each child is different. Sometimes the newborns will have to be watched for a long time after they are born for medical reasons that they can't be cured for right away. Can anyone name something that they would have to be monitored for if one of their parents or an older sibling had it?" Several students raise their hands and Nurse Thelma looks to Nurse Genia.

"Which one, sister?" They share a glance. "Okay, Miss. Le Faye, please tell us one."

"If a parent or older sibling had hemophilia."

"Correct, that is a disease that can be passed down in the family. If an older sibling or parent had this we would scan for it and then make sure the parents had blood clotting potion on hand and the instructions on giving it." Nurse Thelma says as when the bell rings.

"Well, class. Thelma will be back tomorrow as she is on maternity leave from her position at the hospital as it was causing her too much stress." Nurse Glendia says. "No reading tonight. We'll start  going over the spells tomorrow. Have a wonderful rest of your day."