chapter sixty nine

Start from the beginning

"You're dating Jisungs best friends, aren't you?"

"How do you know that? Or Jisung?"

"I still have Lele on Instagram and stalked his boyfriend and his friends accounts. Wait, a minute", Sam says, starting to grin. "Are you dating Mark?"

"Maybe."

"Well, look at you now."

Jeno rolls his eyes. "So it was a while before any of us went on individual dates. Besides Jaemin and Mark. I kinda made Haechan mad at first."

"Why?"

"We have the same attitude."

Sam snorts, failing to hold back her laughter. "So you've met your match?"

"I guess so. I really like him."

"I can tell by the way you're smiling."

"Shut up."

"I'm happy, though. They seem wonderful and I'm glad you're happy. That's all I ever wanted for you."

"You liked me that much?"

Sam gives him a weird look. "Of course I did."

"Oh."

"Jeno, did you think I only liked you for your looks or something?" Jeno stays quiet, avoiding eye contact with her. "You did, didn't you?" More silence. "Jeno look at me." When he looks up, she reaches across the table and grabs his hands. "Okay, I admit you are hot, but that had nothing to do with why I liked you. You're so sweet. I loved being your friend and having you care about me and talk to me and make me laugh and I just loved your attention. But you're also so adorable and so great." She releases his hands as she sits back. "This actually makes sense."

Jeno nods. "I didn't know and just thinking that it had nothing to do with me made me hate everything."

"I'm sorry I made you feel that way."

"It wasn't just you. I hated everyone because they didn't know me and were still interested. In the locker room, some guy made a joke that I could get anyone to date me if I lifted up my shirt."

"Assholes."

"You're right about that."

"I think we both could've used reassurance."

"Honestly, I still might've broken up with you. I liked you but I held you at arms length, 'cause I'm afraid of people leaving and thought you would too."

Sam nods. "I know."

"You do?"

"I only saw what you let me see. I know you were afraid to let me in so I didn't push it, even when I wanted to."

"It wouldn't have worked then."

"Would it work now?"

Jeno nods. "I don't care as much now."

"I see."

"So, how's your love life?"

"I'm on guy...four? I'm just waiting it out."

"Bad experiences?"

"I literally cannot attract anybody as good as you. Which is even weirder because you'd imagine a twenty-five-year-old is more respectful than a seventeen-year-old."

"What did he do?"

"He was the one who didn't do anything. Like the bare minimum was his all and when I spoke to him about it, he was a jerk, asking what more I wanted from him and why he had to try?"