Chapter 2- Alma and Earth

This might be long and seem to drag on, but I thought a backstory for Alma was needed. And by the way, Alma means nurturing soul in latin.

~Lunar_Living

Alma had come from a place called Earth, and she is one of the Lucky Hundred Scientists (as Alma told me). Here is what I know of her story:

Alma was born in a country called America on May 30, 2356. She was an intellectual child growing up. When she was older she became an English teacher for uneducated adults.

Then when the economy crashed, she was forced to go back to college to get a higher paying job. Alma was going to be a doctor, except she couldn't focus on her studies. Alma didn't want to waste her life doing something just for the money.

That's when she discovered her passion for science. After getting a degree in that she got a job and settled down for a while. Then, when devastating WW5 hit, the earthen world began to change for the worst.

This was a war, like most past wars were, over land. Before this, the earthen population rose and rose until every town was either farmland or a cram packed city. No one could agree if it would be better to find another artificial way to obtain food or if they should find other means of where to go.

One side said that it was not an ideal solution and that it would only solve the solution short time, and besides that they lose their main source of food. The other side said that there was no good way to "fix" their population issue.

The war never really had a winner, it was just a lot of useless fighting until a scientist, Antek Sullivan, solved their issue. He created a way to make large floating cities that could go across the ocean and act like a large land mass.

It's not like that was an original idea or anything, many people had already begun to move to the ocean on cruise ships, but he had found a way to make cities the size of New York float on water. These new cities were stationary and were even able to trade with the countries as well as the other water cities.

This idea ended the war and lead to not only a very wealthy Mr. Sullivan, but also a revolutionized living style. Antek started a new company called Aqua Terrain, a company that spends their lives to invent new ways of living. Just imagine "Living to expand your living" plastered on every billboard around.

After the one success with water town, Aqua Terrain spent their time mainly just perfecting the water living and failing at making any other living style. They figured once all of Earth was covered the only way to go is up. So next they decided to try cloud living... needless to say citizens of earth were not fond of that idea.

Though after Sullivan moved his main headquarters to his first sky city, many people were thrilled with the idea of living in the clouds. Though this was not the breakthrough that Antek was looking for.

It turns out that only young adults were the only ones brave enough to risk living in the clouds. And after a few drunken mistakes leading to a group of young adults falling off the city, there were several lawsuits that lead to a ban on the new sky city.

Eager to cover up his last mistake, and make back the millions he had lost in court, Antek Sullivan developed a new technology that would search the stars for earth like planets to inhabit.

Then, at about a year after Alma got out of college, he sent out a survey for all the scientists on earth to take and Antek would choose his Lucky Hundred Scientist. No one knew exactly what it was for but that it was a very harsh process and that it was unlikely that you would get selected.

Alma was required to fill out a form, though she thought it was pointless at the time because there were a lot of very qualified people out there. But unexpectedly, a government agent came to her house one night and made her an offer.
The offer was to go to an unexplored planet all alone for five years (not including the ten years in the stasis chamber it takes to get there).

Her mission was to see if the planet could sustain life and if it had all the things people need to survive.

After she accepted the deal they gave her a substance to slow her heartbeat enough that she would "sleep". She woke up on my planet, which earthlings call Kepler-22b, ten years later.

When she found me she taught me how to speak and write her language called English, it was hard at first, but after a while I got the hang of it. She told me that I was a very fast learner for having no prior knowledge on anything Earthen.

Now, during the day, she tries to teach me other subjects too, such as some basic math skills and lots of science to help me understand the world around me. She has also told me about another subject called social studies, but said that since I don't live on earth that that subject doesn't matter as much.

She has also given me a name, since I hadn't thought to give myself one before. Stella is my name, which is Latin, an ancient earthen language, means star.

And just for fun she gave me a last name too: Trill. Which is apparently a species of alien form and ancient television show called Star Trek. This species had dots on their face and arms that are similar to the green ones I have.

Alma does not have children due to the lack of husband and the law that only gives specific couples the right to have children, in order to keep the population down. So I have become her child.

Aye! So I hope you enjoy my explanation of how earth turns out in the future. Please vote and comment and Share with your friends. I want to get this story out there but I can't do it alone. I'm thankful for all the help.