Chapter 16

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, my fellow Ghouls and I have been busy with prior engagements. We hope you enjoy. - Cumulus <3

Chapter 16

Cardinal Copia's POV

It was the day of the photoshoot, the Ghouls and Celestial and I worked into the early hours of the morning finalizing the details of the memorial concert that was to take place tomorrow evening. Sunshine helped Celestial and I by picking up our outfits and we changed into them in my office. She had brought me my best black cassock and Biretta with the Grucifix that was adorned in rubies that I pin on to the center of my chest. Celestial was wearing a floor length black satin dress that had straps that fell from her shoulders and hung loosely and a Grucifix brooch pinned to the middle of her chest so we matched.

We arrived at the hallway leading to the morgue downstairs which had been blocked off ready for the photoshoot. Papa Nihil and the Photographer had already arrived and were taking a few test shots when Papa finally noticed us waiting.

"Ah Cardinal, finally you arrive" Papa says using his oxygen mask. "Indeed Papa we are here. Shall we begin?" I say bowing in respect. "You girl, grab the head." He says pointing his boney finger at Celestial who looks to me wide eyed. She hesitates but walks over to the table which had something hidden underneath a black cloth. She lifts it up and I see her wince. She picks the head up, the eyes wide open, gently holding it out and away from her body as it had since leaked since the doctor cleaned it up the day before

The smell of old blood and embalming chemicals fill the air around us and I grimace. I walk over to the little X which had been taped to the floor and Celestial places Terzo's head in my hands. I have no idea what to do, I know I must look shocked and slightly disgusted as I hear Papa Nihil mumbling. "Ok now look at the camera Cardinal" the photographer says and I do and a big flash goes off.

Papa Nihil walks beside me standing over my shoulder ready for the photographer to get a group picture. He pointed over my shoulder as if he was pointing to the clergy members, meaning to convince them to come and view them and pay their respects at the concert. "Amazing your dark excellency i think this is the shot!" the photographer exclaims excitedly obviously not fazed at the fact i was HOLDING A DEAD GUYS HEAD!

"Girl, go over and stand next to the cardinal and place your hand on the head's cheek and smirk" the photographer says, ushering Celestial over who is frowning. "Her name is Celestial. I suggest you show some respect to my assistant." I say, sternly causing the photographer to back away slightly. She comes closer and does as she's told but she does not smirk. The colour drains from her face as a drop of the blood and chemicals touch her hand and the photographer finally captures the shot.

I walk over to the table and place the severed head down before covering it, unable to look at it anymore when Papa Nihil dismisses us with a grumble. Celestial runs to the bathroom unable to control her weak stomach and begins vomiting once more and when she is done she scrubs her hands at the sink five or six times to get the dark liquid off her. She's hot to the touch as I guide her back to the office where the Ghouls wait for us to begin decorating our ballroom for the memorial concert.

I guide Celestial to her seat and grab the pitcher of water and a cup and fill it for her encouraging her to drink and take a minute as you could clearly see the poor girl was mentally scarred by the events as of late. I can't believe I encouraged her to join this world. But now it is out of our hands. I swear to myself I will give Celestial a better life even if it's the last thing I do.

Once I see her take a few sips, I turn to the Ghouls. "Let's go to the ballroom. The supplies should have been delivered by now so we can set everything up." They nod, gathering their notes and shuffling out of the door. I turn back to Celestial who hasn't said anything since the photo shoot and a pang of guilt and pain runs through me seeing her so upset and in such distress and not being able to do anything to help her.

"Celestial, Amore? Is there anything I can do?" I ask rubbing her shoulders. She relaxes slightly at my touch. "Can you just hold me? Just for a moment?" she asks, looking up at me, her eyes full of tears. I cannot deny her as I feel we may both benefit from bodily contact. I lift her from the chair and wrap my arms around her waist, her arms going around my shoulders and we stand there lost in each other and sharing each other's pain.

"Let's get this all sorted then we can go back to my room sì?" She pulls away, nodding and grabbing my hand as we both walk to the ballroom. By the time we arrived the Ghouls had already placed the Clear coffins in a row by the chairs they used to sit in. A stage was in the process of being built by Aether and Dew while Sunshine put an itinerary on every seat for the clergy.

"The clergy will want to come and view the Papa's and pay their respects" I say to Celestial who nods looking around the room in awe. She grabs a box of decorations that match the colour of the Papa's robes looking around on where to place them. She starts on some of the pillars placing them delicately in alternating colours of red, green and purple.

I walked to the back of the ballroom where the lighting room was situated and began fiddling with those and seeing what would look best for the performances while trying to remain respectful. Once I have found a lighting routine I like , I shuffle out of the room and see that everything is basically already done. A few more Ghouls have arrived since I had left, joining Aether, Sunshine and Dew were Mountain and Rain and Cirrus.

"Hey Cardinal, I called Mountain and Rain to come up so we could rehearse for the concert. Is that ok?" Aether asks tuning his guitar. "Sure better be prepared" I walk up to the stage standing by the microphone. "Celestial, why don't you take a seat and tell us what you think?" I ask and she sits in the middle row of the chairs.

"Shall we do Ritual, Year Zero, Con Clavi Con Dio, Cirice and Monstrance Clock?" I ask all of the Ghouls nodding and standing by their instruments.