Chapter 5

A/N Thank you to Aether, Cirrus and Dewdrop for proofreading for me. - Cumulus <3

Chapter 5

Cardinal Copia POV

I didn't get much sleep last night. I spent most of the night watching Celestial sleep, the slow rise and fall of her chest, the way her lips parted ever so slightly as she breathed, the moon cast a glow around her that looked like a halo only further proving to me she was otherworldly, a goddess, an angel.

I was currently waiting for the ghouls to bring a clean set of clothes for Celestial and to bring breakfast as today was going to be hectic. I received word from Sister Imperator that the meeting deciding Celestial's fate was to begin at 11 am.

A knock at my door startled me from my gaze, sighing as I stood. I walk over to the door smoothing down my uniform before finally pulling open the door. Aether, my ghoul stood tall with a small trolley which contained the two plates for breakfast and a pile of clothes for Celestial.

I motioned to him to come inside and to be quiet as Celestial was still not awake. He placed the trolley by the table in the corner, then turned and bowed to me. He motioned me closer and whispered, "The other Papas arrived this morning. And there are rumours going around the church that you brought the outsider here and that you can't be trusted. Be careful neither you nor the girl is safe until a decision is made. Dew and I will meet you here to escort you both to the meeting just in case" he pats my shoulder and then leaves.

I didn't realise I was holding my breath until I gulped in a huge breath. If the brothers and sisters of sin have heard the news of Celestial's arrival so quickly Aether was right she won't be safe. A Lot of people know what the town of Griftwood tried to do to this church and everyone within it. Even if it was before their time, they still hold a grudge.

They didn't know that she was different from anyone else in that town. Hopefully, if today goes well they will try to get to know her and see her as I do. An innocent broken soul just looking for a family and a purpose. Isn't that why we're all here anyway?

I walk over to the bed and sit on the edge placing my hand gently on Celestials sleeping face, gently stroking it, "Cara, it is time for breakfast, wake up Celestial" I say continuing to run my fingers through her hair. She finally stirs blinking up at me and she lets out a big yawn and smiles at me. Even half asleep, she's the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. What I'd give to be able to kiss her right now.

I smile back at her "Someone is happy this morning. Did you sleep well, Angelo?" I ask her as she sits up and stretches. "Yes Copia I did, thank you for looking after me and giving me your bed for the night" She places her hand on mine and gives me a small squeeze. "I have clothes and breakfast waiting for you. The shower is through the door to the right, we have a big day ahead of us. Quickly get ready" I told her pointing to the food, clothes and bathroom door.

She nods jumping out of bed her night dress had ridden up showing more of the curves I lust for. She grabs the clothes from the table and enters the bathroom. I decided to set the table and get breakfast prepared. I sit and read for about twenty minutes when Celestial appears. She's wearing a knee-length black dress, with long sleeves topped with ballet flats. Her hair was wrapped tightly in a towel. I noticed a glint coming from the collar of her dress and under careful observation, I see that it was a Grucifix pin.

"Well, how do I look? Presentable?" she says doing a small twirl, her scent being spun out into every corner of my room, she stops her spinning removing the towel on her head, her hair falling free into damp curls down her back. "Belissima, truly." I smiled at her standing to pull out her chair so she could eat. "I didn't know what you would like for breakfast so I got a fruit bowl and some pastries along with tea and coffee." I point to each item before taking my seat opposite her and pouring myself a cup of coffee.

She began to eat small bites of her food but I could tell her mind was elsewhere. She seemed to be fighting an internal war with herself. "Cara, are you ok?" I asked with slight concern in my voice. "Cardinal, I will admit, I am nervous about the meeting today. I didn't exactly start off on the right foot with the sister. Now I have to go before all of the higher clergy members for them to act as my judge, jury and executioner. For the short time I have been here I have not seen much. I have not met many people but I have grown attached to this place. to you. If they do not let me stay, I don't know what I will do" she says, tears beginning to fill her eyes. She sniffles lightly, wiping her nose with the sleeve of her dress.

"Amore, please don't cry. I will do everything in my power to keep you here. I will do whatever it takes. I plan on telling them that I'll take responsibility for however long you are here. If there's an issue they can come to me.'' I held her hand, squeezing it lightly before lifting it to my lips and placing one small delicate kiss. "You are too good to me Copia." she lets loose a small smile but it doesn't quite reach her eyes.

"Will it help ease you if I tell you how to act around all of the Papas and Sister Imperator?" I ask, still holding her hand lightly. She nods, not trusting herself not to cry; she does not say a word. "Well, Tesoro, when we get to the meeting you will have to curtsy to the Papas and to Sister. Only speak when spoken to and do not interrupt them. Refer to the Papas as 'your dark excellency's begin.

"There will be ghouls present that serve each of the Papas and Sister, even my ghouls Aether and Dewdrop will be in attendance. But do not worry they are only there for security and in case anyone needs anything." I look her in the eyes to make sure I can tell if she is understanding what I am saying to her. She nods once more before turning her gaze from me to the window in the centre of the room.

"I know you may be frightened, but as I said earlier, you are not alone I will be with you every step of the way. If it makes you feel any better they scare me too" I let out a small laugh trying to ease her. Celestial lets out a small snort of laughter before turning back to me and giving me a shy smile. "Copia, I am so glad I met you," she says blushing lightly. It warms my heart hearing her say it.

We both finish the rest of our breakfast in comfortable silence. I checked the time on my pocket watch and the time had flown by, we only had fifteen minutes until we were due at Sister Imperators' office. Tucking it back into my pocket, I begin to clear the table. Celestial stands walking round to the side to help me pile the plates together in a neat stack. By the time the last plate was placed a knock at the door echoed through the room. I give Celestial a reassuring smile before going over and opening the door.

Aether and Dew stood in the doorway, masks shined to perfection, glancing to me than behind me where Celestial stood shying behind me. "Sorry for the intrusion Cardinal, but we are here to escort you both to Sister Imperator's office. Everyone is already there waiting" Aether got straight to the point, and Dew stayed silent only giving a nod to reaffirm Aether's statement.

I sigh, nodding slowly before turning and holding my hand out for Celestial to take hold of. She takes my hand and I place it on my arm before escorting her out of the room. The door shuts with a loud click, and the two ghouls stand on either side of us as we begin our journey to decide Celestial's fate. I could only pray that Satan was on our side.