Chapter 4

A/N: Thank you for reading the story so far everyone it means a lot to me and my ghouls. Thank you Dewdrop, Cirrus and Aether for proofreading this chapter and another thanks to D and C for helping me write this scene I love you all. - Cumulus <3

Chapter 4

Celestial POV

After the Ghoulettes found spare clothes, they guided me to a small changing room where they told me to leave the wet clothes to the side and they'll be brought to Copia's room tomorrow after they had been laundered. The silk black nightgown rested just above my knees with a provocative slit up one leg and the dressing gown on top was made of a sheer black lace material which was surprisingly soft and rested at my ankles.

I exited the room where I found Cirrus and Cumulus talking to Copia about working with the other ghouls coming up with a new riff for a song for Papa Emeritus III. I felt exposed and quite intimidated by everything around me so I just stayed back standing silently fiddling with the sleeves of the dressing gown.

It didn't take long for the cardinal to notice me, a sudden intake of breath was heard all around the room and what I think was a slight moan before turning into a cough trying to hide it from Copia. A blush starts to form from my chest up to my face. I could feel the heat radiating off me.

"Sorry Amore Mio, I uh.. You... you look Bellisima, beautiful. The food has been taken to our room if you'd like to go now?" the Cardinal says, tripping over his words, eyes wandering over my body and back to my eyes as if he's trying his best not to lose control. "Thank you so much Cardinal, that would be lovely. And thank you Cirrus, Cumulus, for helping me find an outfit." I give them both a small smile and wave before making my way over to the Cardinal and holding onto his arm.

Once we exit the ghoul's layer, the Cardinal and I walk in silence enjoying each other's company. It is at this time I actually begin to actually look around and look at the church architecture. It is magnificent.

Tall ceilings and huge stained glass windows depict scenes of Lucifer's fall from heaven and descent into hell. Some of the stained glass show what I assume to be all of the Papas of the church with the Ghouls and Ghoulettes. Intimidatingly beautiful. The moonlight from the windows created colourful shadows all over the hallway. It was magical.

We came to a stop in front of a wooden door which had intricate carvings of rats on the front with the Cardinal's title and name written on a brass band which was stuck in the centre of it. He removes my hand from his arm and starts digging through his pockets for his room key. He looks at me and gives me a flustered smile. He finally finds it and the door clicks open. He ushers me inside, closing the door behind us.

The air in his room was cold. It felt dark, even though the candles were aflame and the fire lit. As if there had never been happiness within the four walls. It makes my heart ache to think that the Cardinal may not have been happy.

The walls were lined with shelves upon shelves of books, some in English and some in a font I could not recognise. On his bedside table were piles of unfinished paperwork and open books and what looked like unfinished translations. I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Copia walking me to the small table and chairs in the corner of the room in which our food had been left on. He pulls my chair out for me which I in turn give a small smile and thank you.

The food looked amazing. "I hope you like stuffed portobello mushrooms with truffle mash and asparagus and lightly toasted garlic ciabatta, Cara." Copia states showing me each item on the plate. My mouth was watering looking at all of the food. I'd never had anything this fancy growing up back in Griftwood.

"Celestial, would you like a drink? I have wine?" The Cardinal asks placing two glasses on the table. "I'm sorry, Cardinal. I've never had wine before" I look down sheepishly fiddling with the napkin I had placed on my lap, embarrassed by my own innocence.

"You don't have to do anything you are not comfortable with Cara. I can get you some water sì?" he gives a reassuring smile walking towards his desk where a pitcher of water sat. "Thank you, Copia. Maybe I can try a little bit of the wine and if I don't like it you can finish it?" smiling, feeling happy with myself for coming up with a win-win solution.

Copia smiles nodding, agreeing, he finally places my water on the table and takes the seat opposite me and pours out an expensive bottle of red wine into one of the wine glasses and gestures for me to give it a taste. I pick it up carefully examining it. It smells sour and almost bitter.

I scrunch my face and I catch Copia covering his mouth as he was trying not to laugh, if it tastes anything like it smells I definitely won't like it. I finally pull the glass to my lips and take a sip. It is very strong and just as bitter as it smelt, it burns my throat on its way down which makes me cough. "Sorry cardinal, I don't think it's for me" I choke out handing him the glass.

He lets out a hearty laugh which makes me laugh just as hard and we sit for a few moments just laughing at each other. It's nice. Almost like two old friends having dinner and catching up. I take time to look at the Cardinal as he laughs. The slight crinkle by his eyes, his dimples. His eyes sparkle almost as bright as the moon outside bewitching me.

After the laughter dies down we begin to eat, making small talk, and getting to know each other better. "Cardinal, how long have you been a part of the ministry and this church?" I ask eating some of the mushrooms. He looks stunned as if he wasn't expecting me to ask anything about himself. "Well, I was told that my mother left me here when I was just a baby. Sister Imperator raised me and taught me everything I know. I owe my life to her." he says looking at me before taking a sip of the wine.

"What is a Papa if you don't mind me asking I'm still a little confused" I blush feeling stupid. "Our Papas are the satanic popes of the church. They look after everyone who is a part of the clergy and they are the ones who go out and recruit new followers for the dark lord. You will probably meet them all tomorrow when we go to the meeting Sister has organised for you." He seems anxious when mentioning the Papas, the sparkle in his eye disappearing as if it causes him great pain.

I don't know why seeing the Cardinal this sad affects me so much. But it is breaking my heart. I grab Copia's hand which was placed on the table and pull him out of his seat. I stand up from my seat and walk around the table pulling him towards me and I hug him. Hard. Trying to show how much I feel for him in that hug. I don't know what I feel yet but I know it's something important. I just hope he feels it.

It took a while for the Cardinal to relax into my embrace but when he did it felt amazing. He bent down his head resting on my shoulder, his hands on my waist and we just stood there for what felt like an eternity saying so many things to each other in silence. He pulls away after a few minutes and just looks at my lips and then back to my eyes. He leans in and takes a deep breath before deciding on kissing my forehead. I close my eyes and savour that moment with him.

Part of me was disappointed he didn't kiss me on the lips, but the gentle kiss on the forehead still gave me butterflies. The overwhelming warmth of his touch and his scent of incense and fine wine surrounding me made me dizzy with what I think might be considered lust. I place my hand on Copias cheek looking up at him and smiling softly. At this moment I know deep down I belong to him.

The dinner was long forgotten as the Cardinal took my hand and guided me to the four-post bed frame. The covers are silk in a deep blood-red colour that matches his uniform. "Time for sleep Tesoro, you must be exhausted sì?" he says sitting me on the bed and pulling down the covers. "Where will you sleep Cardinal?" I ask from my seat at the end of his bed. "I will sleep on the chaise longue Cara," he responds, gesturing to the funny-looking sofa at the end of his bed, eyes sparkling once more. I nod offering one more smile before I move towards the top of the bed and snuggle down under the duvet.

"Good night, Copia," I say as I get comfortable cocooning myself into the covers. "Sleep well, Amore" was the last thing I heard before sleep took over my exhausted body.