IX | Persuasive Nation

THE ILLUSIONIST WOMAN

Nine. Persuasive Nation

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

XIMENA'S COFFEE WAS SCALDING HOT. She sipped at it gingerly as she moved about her new office as of six months in Washington D.C. Her high heeled feet brought her to the white board, glancing over the pieces of a case she was trying to dissect and snuff out altogether.

Yes, it has been six months. Time is a continued sequence of events that occur as we experience them. Ximena knew this from experience. After being alive for a total of 51 years without aging, time was an event in itself that she observed. Time was relative. Although it had been six months since Jean had died, Ximena still felt the pain like it happened last week.

Grief was unpredictable and inconvenient. But life moved on and so she must too.

"Quinn," Ximena called out of her open door. She scowled at the board. Her mind buzzing and it wasn't just the caffeine.

Professor Xaiver was serious about Ximena joining the effort to advocating for mutants. After their inopportune meeting with the President, Dr. Dominguez was placed on the Presidential call sheet. Not long after, Henry McCoy, or Hank as his friends called him, offered her the position as his field agent. Executive secretary assistant in the mutant affairs division.

She wasn't just a stand in for Jean, giving seminars as a public figure head. Ximena was in the room where decisions were being made. She was working closely with the CIA on mutant related crimes and indiscretions. She was walking around the White House in Washington D.C. If only her mother could see her now, she'd probably pass out right where she stood.

Ximena shadowed Hank and was introduced to Moira. A fellow doctor with knowledge on mutants — apparently a close friend to the Professor as well. She also had objectives of her own to handle. For instance, stopping the experimentation of mutants and persuading officials in legislation to make it illegal under the constitution. She wasn't too knowledgeable on laws, bills and the judicial system, but she knew minds and the medicinal side of it all to the finest detail. Ximena enjoyed the action and experience.

She was presented with a small office at the CIA main location of operation along with a handful sized team for the mutant division. It wasn't anywhere near what they actually needed for the entire United states of America, but it was more than what she expected the President to do.

Coming to Washington was a quick change of pace. Everyone was passive aggressive with their pretty language and Ximena found herself just wanting to simply tell it like it is. Of course, that's not what politicians did, but that didn't mean she liked it. She lacked the social graces to hide her true feelings behind a stone-walled face and her bluntness wasn't always welcome with the perfectly put together officials.