IX | Burning Embers

THE ILLUSIONIST WOMAN

nine. Burning Embers

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

FOLLOWING XIMENA INTO HER house, Logan took in the warm natural feel of it. The space was built with her culture in mind. Everywhere he looked possessed Ximena in every little detail. From the clay potted plants, to the low hanging wooden beams lining the length of the living room.

White painted brick archways and elaborate, Bohemian patterned rugs staged on top of each other in different angles. Rusted metals and intricate, hand crafted tapestries in cozy spots. A brick laid fire place with trinkets and knickknacks from the many years Ximena had been alive -- some too old to touch in fear they'd come apart.

And last but not least, her paintings hanging on the walls and in any large, blank space. Logan paused in the living room just to take a serious look around. He was taking it all in. The colors, vibrancy, overall coziness of the house. Better yet, it wasn't a house – it was a home. Personalized just to make everyone who walked through the door comfortable.

He admired the sheer domestic authenticity of it all. It was everything that described Ximena and more.

Picking up a weird shaped totem in the shape of an eagle, he furrowed his eyebrows at it with intrigued. It was obviously hand whittled from a thick block of red oak, unstained yet still rich with color. Flipping it over, he saw an initial of 'DO', and nosily wondered if it was someone close to her.

"Hey," Ximena came from the back room with an ease filled grin on her face. However, when she spotted what was in his hand, she winced like something offended her. "Don't mess with that... it - it's really old."

"Sorry," He offered lamely.

She took it from his hands, maybe a little to urgent, a little too fast. Her hands lingered on it for a moment before placing it delicately where he found it, her brown eyes swimming with an unreadable emotion.

Snapping out of it, she grasped his hand and Logan was starting to get whiplash from her swiftly changing emotions. "C'mon, I want to introduce you to everyone."

The Nomad eyed the way she held his hand. How small it was compared to his and just how right it felt to hold it. Although she was simply leading him into the courtyard of her elaborate home, it was an intentional gesture that made his affection grow.

Ximena's backyard space was covered in terracotta tile. Fenced in by tall white brick walls with a gate into the thick forest behind the house. The middle had a eye catching fountain. The outside space given proper shade by the overhanging leaf covered tree.