Oklahoma

Sam is 12, Dean is 16

Based on the scene from FanFiction where Sam and Dean are walking into the school and Sam says he was a theater kid. 

... 

Sam spots the Impala parked by the sidewalk. It looks out of place, shimmied between two minivans with overly enthusiastic parents in the driver's seat. If only they knew what was hidden in the trunk. 

Dean's head is resting on his arm in the opened driver's side window, a bored expression on his face. Sam can hear the murmur of classic rock as he approaches, at least Dean had the decency to turn the music down a little bit. Usually, on the open road, he blasts it so loud Sam can hardly concentrate on his book. Dean has only had his driver's license for a little over six months, but after some particularly rough hunts, he had to drive the oldest Winchester home without one. Sam would never admit it, but Dean is a good driver, he even prefers it when his brother drives. Plus, when his dad is gone he gets shotgun. 

"Hurry up, Sammy! We don't get all day," Dean growls from inside the car. Sam makes a show of moving in slow motion before running around to the passenger sliding in alongside his brother. Dean gives his younger brother a once over before starting the car, only to realize he is parked in. "Son of a bitch!" 

"Dean it's ok," Sam says with a shake of his head. Always his brother running out of patience. Sam fidgets in his seat, a smile plastered on his face. 

"What's got you in such a good mood? Did you kiss a girl?" 

Sam gasps and smacks Dean in the arm, "I'm 12!" 

Dean smirks and ruffles his brother's hair, "That's how old I was when I kissed Susie Barnes," Sam makes a face of disgust but returns to smiling. "Spill." 

The van finally pulls away from the sidewalk and Dean follows. 

"I'm doing tech for Oklahoma!" 

Dean quirks an eyebrow, "What's Oklahoma?" 

Sam's eyes widen, "It's a musical!" 

Dean scoffs, "What, should I call you Samantha now?"  

"Dean! I heard that Hugh Jackman is lined up to be in it," 

Dean looks over to his brother with an amused smile, "And I'm supposed to know who that is? Besides, you know dad's rules." 

(A/N it's 1995 so Oklahoma didn't come out yet and Hugh is not Wolverine yet)

...

2 weeks later

Sam's heart drops the moment John stepped in the door. He said this was a long hunt, he's not supposed to be back for another week or so. Not until after the premiere of Oklahoma. 

Before he even finished setting his stuff down he looked over to Dean. The oldest brother is standing with his shoulders back and his chest slightly puffed out, ready to follow whatever order John is about to give. "Hey boys. I'm going to get some food and then sleep for a while. Dean, start packing we are leaving tomorrow morning." 

Sam's eyes widen and he pushes himself up from the couch, drawing the attention of his family. "Why don't we stay here for another week? You can..." Sam pauses trying to think of a convincing argument, "rest for a week? You've been on a lot of hunts lately." 

John quirks his eyebrow and throws his bag on the table, "I'll rest when all the monsters are dead, Sammy." 

"Please?" Sam says in a small voice. He looks from Dean's sympathetic eyes to his dad's irritated ones. 

"What's gotten into you?" 

Dean quickly buds in before Sam blurts out the truth, "Sammy has a big group project. Been workin' real hard on it for a long time now. It wouldn't be right for him to leave his group high and dry out of nowhere." 

Sam looks over to his brother in shock and holds his breath at the silence that falls over the room. After a loud sigh, John speaks, "I guess, but we are leaving first thing next Saturday morning. I have to catch a new case anyways." 

After John finally shuts the bathroom door, Sam finally breathes. 

"Thanks, Dean,"

"Hey, no chick flick moments. I won't be caught dead watching a bunch of people dance and sing in makeup and tights, though." 

...

1 week later

The next week passes too quickly. Sam likes it here, a lot actually. Stage rehearsals were more and more exciting the closer it got to opening night. Dean covered for him, saying he was working on his project. 

Sam shakes off the jitters from the control box, he could mess up the show if he doesn't play the right tracks or shine the right lights. It is exhilarating though, kind of like the adrenaline from hunting but minus the danger and the violence. This type of adrenaline he welcomes. 

Before Sam knows it, the curtain is closing and the show is over. Sam leans back in his chair and sighs. Tomorrow, he has to leave. After the lights in the auditorium turn on, Sam slips out of the press box and to the cafeteria where the rest of the cast will be gathering to see their families. 

Sam smiles sadly at all of the proud parents, bored siblings, and even some excited ones. 

"Nice job, Sammy," 

Sam whips around and a huge smile crosses his face. The one and only Dean Winchester are standing clad in his leather jacket and jeans. Completely out of place with the enthusiastic parents dressed in ironed blouses and button-down shirts. "Dean! You came? I thought you said you wouldn't be caught dead at a musical." 

"Well, I heard Nebraska chicks were hot. Besides, if you messed up I had to be there to see it," the older brother smirks and tucks his hands in his pockets. 

"It's Oklahoma, Dean." 

"Yeah yeah, tomato tomahto. You did good, though, Sammy." 

Dean pats his little brother on the shoulder and together they walk out of the school. Tomorrow, they are leaving, probably never coming back again. But Sam couldn't be more thankful that Dean will always be there.