Outsider

I'm changing the age gap for story purposes between Sam and Dean

Dean is 16

Sam is 5

I know the rest of the story would be different because Mary would be alive longer but go with it

Outsider POV

...

I pull a jacket on over my flower printed shirt as Sarah and her friend run around the house waiting for me to take them to the park. Dad and mom had to do a few errands today, but Sarah already had her playdate scheduled so I got stuck with watching them. I'd rather be with my own friends but it's not that big of a deal. 

"Sarah, Bree, I'm ready," I holler from the front door. Immediately they come sprinting in from the living room and out the door, "You can walk ahead of me but wait until I'm there to cross the street. Ok?" They both nod and take off down the street. 

The park is only a few blocks away, it's not very big, just a small playground with some benches and trees, but it is nice nonetheless. The air has a slight fall chill, but the sun is shining bright, and it's still warm enough to only wear a light jacket. 

I let out a small groan upon realizing I still have to do homework when I get home. Tomorrow I have an English essay due about the Great Gatsby. There was a new student in our class on Wednesday, he is different than the other kids. He was dressed in threadbare jeans and a large leather jacket. He didn't even have a backpack and talked back to the teacher. 

He has a deep voice and green eyes. Not to mention his smile. His name is Dean... Dean Winchester. I've never actually talked to them though. We have English together in the last class of the day and he always leaves the moment the bell rings and practically disappears. He's the type of person who acts dumb but probably isn't. I wonder what his parents do, from the looks of it they definitely aren't rich. 

The park is scattered with kids and their parents, Sarah and Bree take to the monkey bars right away. Not too far away, a group of young boys is playing in a sandbox. A couple of feet from the sandbox a familiar face sits on the bench. 

He is wearing a leather jacket and is staring at one of the boys at the sandbox. I didn't know he had a little brother. He rolls his shoulders back and looks around the park, he squints his eyes as if he is taking in every detail, scanning every face, and observing every movement. 

Deep green eyes meet mine from across the park, my face flushes and heart starts drumming in my chest. He smriks and winks making my face even more red. He looks back at the sandbox and pushes himself up from the bench. 

He's walking towards me. 

Oh god. 

What do I say?

He's steps are confident and h e looks completely relaxed. In a few more steps he approaches me, "What's up?" He asks leaning against a tree, "Olive, right?"

I nod and clear my throat, "I'm watching my little sister and her friend." I pause for a moment, "You don't seem like the type to hang around a park?"

"I'm watching my baby brother," He responds simply. 

"How old is he?"

"Five," He puts his free hand in his pocket. 

We settle into an awkward silence for a moment, "It's a beautiful day out," I say looking up at the tree he is leaning against. 

He lets out a small chuckle, "Not as beautiful as you," he finishes with a  wink and smiles back at me. 

A blush spreads across my face and my breath catches in my throat, "Th-" 

Dean whips his head towards a small boy running towards him with tears streaming down his face. "Dean!" The little boy with long hair cries as he runs into his brother causing Dean to take a few steps back to catch his balance. 

"Woah, Sammy, what's wrong?" Dean urgently questions scanning his brother up and down before picking him up and holding him on his hips. The younger boy burries his head into Dean's shoulder and grabs onto his t-shirt. Dean runs his hand soothingly across Sammy's back and whispers something into his ear. 

"The boy stole my toy, Dee," The little boy sobs out pointing behind him. 

Dean looks over to the boy holding the presumably stolen toy and frowns, "Hey, buddy, I'll go get it back. It's alright." 

"I'm sorry," The boy whispers through sniffles. Dean's soft touches and concerned face looks completely wrong on him, but at the same time it looks so natural. I try not to stare, but I can't help it. Besides, Dean probably doesn't even realize I'm still here. From the moment Sam came running towards him all of his focus has been only on him. 

"You didn't do anything wrong, Sammy." 

"I-I shouldn't have let him take it from me. I-It's the dump truck you got me for," He gulps, "for my b-birthday." The boy is still sobbing and wraps his arms tighter around Dean's neck.

"It's not your fault, you didn't give him the toy," Dean soothes, still rubbing a hand over Sam's back. 

"Da-Daddy would be mad at me, Dee," It's really shocking how terrible such a little kid feels about someone else taking away its toy. His whole body is shaking. And Dean's reaction to that comment is frightening. 

His eyes flare and his body goes stiff. He takes a few calming breaths, "No he wouldn't. Don't say that," Sam nods into his brother's neck, "I'm going to kill that kid," Dean says hardly loud enough for me to hear. 

Sam shoots up straight in Dean's arms, "No! Then you would go to jail and I'd be by myself!" Sam exclaims eyes wide, tears streaming down his face." 

"I was kidding, buddy," Sam look unconvinced, "I'm kidding, Sammy. I swear, I won't leave you." Dean's eyes are deep with scincerety and Sam nods slowly. The older boy reaches out to wipe away his brother's tears and sets him back on his feet. "Here's the plan, we'll walk over there together and then you are going to demand your toy back, ok?" 

Sam nods his head, hair flopping over his eyes. A small smile crosses my face, and a fond one spreads over Dean's. Dean stands up to his full height and Sam reaches up for his brother's hand. Together the brothers walk towards the sandbox. 

I inch closer to the tree where Dean was once standing and strain to hear what they are saying. 

Sam looks up at his brother and Dean gives him a nod, "Hey! Give my my toy back now!" Sam demands stepping in front of Dean. 

The boy, at least a few years older than Sam, looks over, "What are you going to do about it?" 

Sam takes another step closer, "Give me my toy back. Now!" The adorably little boy's voice is surprisingly stern and even a little scary. 

The older boy rolls his eyes and throws the toy back to Sam who catches it and looks up and his brother with a huge smile. "Thank you, Dean!" He throws his arms around his brother's legs. 

"That was all you. I'm proud of you, Sammy," Dean is smiling and reaches down to grab his brother's hand. 

Sam's smile widdens and his eye light up, "Can we go home. I'm tired. Oh Dee! I was reading this book about a big green dianosour..." Together they walk out of hearing range, but even from the back I can tell that Dean is smiling at his little brother. 

...

The next day in class Dean is back to his 'bad boy' self. He doesn't have his books and he talks back to the teacher. As soon as the bell rings though, he is out of the classroom. 

Mom and Dad are still at work so I go to pick up my sister from the elementary school. A dirty leather jacket stands out among the little kids and professional adults picking up thier kids. Sam runs out of the school, straight into Dean's legs. 

They each say something but I am too far away to hear, a smile crosses Dean's face, and just like that the gentle and protective boy from the park is back. All because of his little brother.