Brother-Teacher Conferences

Please leave comments and requests!!!!!!!

Sam is 14

Dean is 18

...

Adults crowded the school's hallways, some looked angry, others with large smiles covering thier faces. For the most part, they were dressed in nice slacks, button-down shirts, fancy blouses, or even some business dresses. 

Smack dab in the middle of snobby parents was a young man dressed in threadbare jeans and a leather jacket. Parents glanced at him, judged him, probably thought he was some sort of teen dad. Of course, he was just... filling in for John as he was on a hunt. He's just the big brother. 

Dean glanced down at the slip in his hands. The first stop is Sammy's English teacher in room 1004. It's Dean's senior year so luckily he didn't have to take another dreadful English class. He only needed four English credits to graduate and Freshman English is 2 credits so he finished his last one his Junior year. 

Dean stopped in front of the designated classroom and sat in one of the folding chairs set up outside the closed door. His time wasn't for another 10 minutes meaning after this meeting thier is still one more. A couple occupies the first two chairs, upon Dean's arrival they give him a funny look and turn back to thier conversation. 

"Dean Winchester!" A girl's voice sounded from behind him. Dean snapped his head in her direction and a small smirk covered his face. He pushed himself up from the chair and took a few steps closer to the girl. She had her full cheerleading uniform on with her hair in a high ponytail. In one hand she held a roll of tickets and in the other an ice cream bucket with a slot cut in the cover. 

"Hey, sugar," Dean said with a wink. 

The girl blushed and laughed, "I'm raising money for the cheer team to go to nationals. What are you doing here?"

Dean stuck his hand into his pocket and fished out a few bucks and put it into the ice cream bucket with a smirk, "I was thinking, how would you like to go-" 

"Dean Winchester," A deep voice said from the direction of the classroom. The cheerleader frowned in confusion as Dean started walking back to the room. 

"You. Me. Movies tomorrow night? Pick you up at seven?" Dean finished. The girl squealed and nodded enthusiastically. 

The teacher cleared his throat annoyed and Dean quickly followed him into the classroom, "Sorry about that, Mr.," Dean paused and looked at the sign on his desk, "Tim." 

"I'm sorry, you can't be Sam's parent, can you? There must be some sort of mistake," Mr. Tim concluded with a skeptical look on his face. 

"No, I assure you there's no mistake. I'm his big brother. My dad is working late and asked me to fill in for him," Dean lied with ease. 

"These are parent teacher conferences, Mr. Winchester," 

"I can get my dad on the phone if you want, but he would not be happy if I interrupted him. He's in the middle of a crisis right now."

"What does he do?"

"Look, Mr. Tim, I'm sure this is unusual, but I'm here to talk about Sam, not my father. I assure you I will pass on whatever he needs to know." 

Mr. Tim cleared his throat and paused for a minute before continuing, "Right, well, Sam is a very smart kid. He turns everything in on time, straight As, quite remarkable. I'm worried about him though." 

Dean's proud smile quickly flipped into a frown, "Why? What do you mean?" The clear concern seeping through his voice took Mr. Tim a little off guard. 

"Well, he is really shy. Doesn't talk to the other kids at all. He hardly even raises his hand or talks to me. Usually, we see this kind of behavior from children who are troubled. Sometimes it's because of difficult family life, or a past traumatic experience, a whole range of things really. I just want to help him." 

For the first time that night, Dean didn't know what to say. His mind raced, Sammy's ok, isn't he? He'd tell me if he wasn't. Right? That kid has always been the emotional one. Dean started to retrace the past few months in his head. Dean's frown deepened as horror overtook him, come to think of it Sam has been quiet lately. He hasn't fought with dad, or even yelled at Dean for not sharing his emotions. Ever since that hunt that ended with Dean getting injured. Dammn it, he probably thinks it's his fault.  

"Mr. Winchester?"

"Thank you for bringing that to my attention." Dean pauses and looks around the room uncomfortable before adding, "I'll take care of it." 

"I think this may be beyond your... capabilities. Maybe you should consider setting him up with the school counselor. It could be very beneficial," 

Dean froze. Counselor?

"Thank you for your concern, but I'll take care of it." 

Mr. Time frowned, "Look, I know your not his parent so this really isn't your problem, but Sam needs to see a counselor. You can't help him." 

Anger bubbled up in Dean's chest and concern turned into furry, "Look, this is my problem and I will fix it. I know that kid better than anyone in the whole world. He is not going to talk to a counselor, he can't talk to a counselor. Sammy's my little brother, he's my kid, and it's my job to take care of him. It's my job to fix whatever's going on with him, and I fully intend to do so. Thank you for doing your job, but now let me do mine." Dean's voice is on the verge of shouting. 

Mr. Tim tilted his head to the side and looked and Dean curiously, "How old did you say you are?"

Dean's anger slowly faded into confusion, "I'm 18, sir. I'm a senior." 

Mr. Tim leaned back in his chair and folded his arms over his chest, "Ok. Our time is up, thank you for coming." 

"Ok. Sorry, my parent couldn't be here." 

Mr. Tim flinched and the word "parent" not "parents". 

Dean walked towards the door, as he then hoovered on the handle Mr. Tim spoke up again, "Sam's parent was here tonight, Mr. Winchester. Your not just his brother. He writes about you in almost all of his personal assignments. I've never even heard him talk about your dad." 

A weird pile of emotions worked its way through Dean's chest. Pride? Love? "Thank you, sir." With that Dean leaves the room. 

The hallway is still crowded with parents. He pauses for a minute on the side and observes them. One couple is beaming and gushing about thier brilliant kid, as is another, and another. 

Smack dab in the middle of the commotion is Dean. Nobody even glances at him twice. Maybe he's not that out of place amongst everyone else here. A frightening but equally as happy thought dawns on him. 

Dean is not 'filling' in for John, he is not filling in for anybody. In fact, on the rare occasions where the two boys are not together people are filling in for Dean. When it's just Pastor Jim and Sam, Pastor Jim is filling in for Dean.

 When it's just John and Sam, John is filling in for Dean. 

Most kids have a mom and a dad, but Sam has something truly special, he has Dean.