Chapter 22: British Man

Harry's POV

Jeff had kept me busy since we landed in LA. I had fittings, interviews, rehearsals, lunch and dinner meetings, on top of the concerts. I was exhausted, and I just wanted nothing more than to see Christy.

I didn't want her believing that we weren't meant to be together. I didn't want her believing that it couldn't work.

I woke up around noon and turned off my phone. I knew it would cause me trouble with Jeff later, but I couldn't care anymore. I didn't have a concert today. Anything else wasn't important. I showered quickly and got dressed heading out to Christy's house.

I parked in front of her house and made my way up to the door. I took a deep breath before knocking on the door. I felt as if I held my breath waiting to see if anyone came.

When the door opened, a man I had never seen stood in the doorway. I felt my breath leave my lungs, and something made my heart clench. I cleared my throat, "Sorry, I was looking for Christy, but I'll come back later." I said turning around quickly.

"Wait...are you Harry? Sorry I'm not really up to par on celebrities and all that." The man said.

I turned to look at him and nodded, "Yeah, that's me."

"I'm her brother, Ben, she stepped out to pick up our dad's medicine. Come in, my dad will be happy to see you. He hasn't stopped asking her about you." He smiled at me, opening the door the rest of the way and stepping to the side.

"She might kill you. For letting me in." I said slowly making my way up.

"She's hated me basically a decade, I can handle it." He laughed and I joined in walking in.

I looked around and saw her dad sitting in his usual chair as before, watching tv, "How is he?" I said softly.

"Uh, good, as he can be. He doesn't have mobility on his upper left side. He can kinda talk, you just have to really listen to understand."

I nodded and bit my lip, "May I?"

"Of course. I'm just making him a late lunch, I'll be in there shortly."

I nodded and walked in slowly, remembering he didn't like surprises or changes in schedule.

"Hey Bob." I said softly and he turned to look at me, half a smile appearing on his face.

"British man." I understood come from him and laughed nodding. I moved the small foot rest near his chair and sat next to him.

"I think I upset Christy. I'm sorry sir. It wasn't my intention at all. But I messed up." I smiled small at him and he nodded.

"Dumb." Was all he said and shook his head softly and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Yeah, big dumb." I ran my fingers through my  hair.

Ben walked in and handed me a water, before placing his dads food on the small table near in right side.

"Do you need me to move?" I said and Ben nodded. I watched as he helped his dad eat, and I wondered when Christy let him back in.

"Can I ask something?" I said, sitting in the couch and pinching my lower lip.

"Shoot."

"When did you and Christy start talking again?"

"The day after his stroke. She called, because she was cashing the check I sent her monthly, and when she told me about his stroke, I refused to let her do this alone." He said as he fed his dad.

"Wow. I know that's a big step for her. I'm glad." I smiled small, looking down at my shoes.

"We owe it to you actually. Turns out you calling her selfish and stubborn wasn't all that much of a dickhead move." He raised an eyebrow at me and I felt red in the face.