Chapter 34: Caged Bird

"In this life I will do anything, defeat anything to be by your side

"In this life I will do anything, defeat anything to be by your side."

Aemond all but had to carry Alaesys to the Maester. They were both soaked to the bone but Alaesys was silent, only hiding her face in Aemond's chest. She was shivering so much Aemond could hear her teeth clatter. It would just so happen Alicent and Viserys caught sight of Aemond carrying his wife through the halls.

"Aemond, what's happened?" Alicent demanded, following the two to the Maester. Aemond did not speak, he wasn't sure if he could. He kicked in the Maesters door, startling the poor old man half to death. Alicent assisted Viserys after his grandchild even though she begged him to let her handle such matters.

"Ally, what's wrong?" Viserys mumbled, grabbing onto a seat as soon as he was inside the Maesters quarters. Seeing the state of Alaesys, the Maester cleared off his table and allowed Aemond to gently lay Alaesys down as she quivered in pain.

"She's bleeding." The Maester looked over Alaesys body, stripping her of as much clothes as possible while still giving her some decency. "Not there." Aemond leaned over his wife and spoke with anguish in his voice. Viserys turned away out of respect and Alicent held her own stomach in fear. Aemond helped situate his wife and held her stomach. Alaesys could not tear her eyes from the ceiling.

She thought of her mother, she thought of Jace and Luke, she thought of her father and sisters. They would know what to do. They always knew what to do. Alaesys hissed in pain as the Maester touched her. She hid her face into Aemond's arm and cursed under her breath.

Viserys rubbed his mouth and Alicent laid a hand on his shoulder. The Maester moved back and wiped his hands on a cloth. "When was your last cycle, my lady?" The Maester questioned, pulling down Alaesys gown over her knees.

"A few weeks before my wedding." Alaesys dreaded what news might come next. Aemond rubbed her hand softly, kissing the scar on her palm. Alaesys could not look him in the eye. She felt ashamed, she felt like she had let him down.

"This does not look like a miscarriage to me. It appears to be implantation bleeding. Your cramps should not be that severe." The Maester pressed down on her abdomen and Alaesys eyes rolled back in pain. "Your wound. May I?" Alaesys gave the Maester permission and he lifted up her dress to expose her stomach. The wound had healed and only a light scar from the stitching remained. Alaesys took a sharp breath through her nose while the Maester poked and prodded at her scar.

"You have healed but I am afraid keeping this pregnancy might not be best for your health, Princess." The Maester pulled down her dress and Alaesys sat up in a hurry. Aemond supported her back and he too looked at the old man. Alaesys felt the familiar taste of bike riding in her throat. She did not want to hear the truth. She wanted her child to be alright, to be healthy and grow within her.

"I do not understand."

"The poison and scarring. It would be quite difficult to carry to full term." The Maester settled back into his seat and Alicent put a hand over her mouth is dismay. Alaesys looked to Aemond as she fought off tears. He could not protect her from this. He had swore to protect her from harm and now the seed he had placed in her belly might as well rip her from the inside out.

"I want to try." Alaesys sqeeuzed Aemond's hands and raised her chin high. She wanted this child more than anything. Being a mother was something she had dreamed about since childhood.

"Princess I do not think-"

"If you suggest the death of my great grandchild I will have your head." It was Viserys who spoke this time. Alaesys felt her heart swell with love. Viserys had brought himself to his feet, barely shaking in an act to appear intimidating. "Alaesys knows her body better than anyone."

Aemond kissed the top of Alaesys head and helped her down from the table. Alicent rushed to her side, wrapping an arm around Alaesys. "Come, you must rest." Alaesys tried to argue but Aemond was on her other side.

"We must talk, Alaesys. See me afterwards, Dear Dove." Viserys and Alaesys shared a kiss on the cheek and the older man gently rubbed her belly. "This little bird must have a cozy nest." Viserys thought back to his late wife. Alaesys reminded him of his sweet Aemma. The way she spoke kindly and the way she interacted with the harsh world around her.

Alicent was already becoming a doting grandmother. She carefully guided Alaesys back to her room, asking her many questions about what food she would prefer. Aemond held Alaesys hand tighter but allowed Alicent to go off on her ramblings. Alaesys laid a hand on her tummy and smiled to herself, wondering what her child might look like, what traits they would pick up from each parent.

Aemond piled pillows behind his wife when she climbed into bed. He poured her a glass of water and Alicent sat on the edge of the mattress. "The God's are smiling upon you two. A child so soon after marriage is a blessing." Alicent reached over and held Alaesys hand softly. "You mother will be proud."

"I would like to visit my mother soon, to tell her in person. If you would grant it." Alaesys spoke slowly and carefully. Aemond sat next to his wife and shook his head.

"I would not permit you to travel with such a high risk in your pregnancy." Alaesys scoffed and turned to the side.

"I don't remember asking for your opinion, husband." Aemond in turn chuckled and tapped his boot to the ground. Alicent took Alaesys hand in both of hers and gave a soft smile.

"I must agree. Traveling is strenuous, especially when you are so fragile. We will send a message to your family." Alicent patted Alaesys hand and took her leave. As Alicent swiftly left the bedroom , Aemond took her place on the bed and lifted Alaesys chin towards him.

"Why did you want to fly, Dove?" Alaesys turned her eyes away, fisting at the blanket in her lap. "Shh, no. Look at me." She lifted her eyes back to Aemond and worry was written all over his face.

"I did not want to die like my grandmother. If my child were to die, I could not face anyone. If you had not been there I would've rode Cesyja to the ends of the earth." Alaesys spoke true and loud. Aemond moved his other hand to Alaesys belly, laying it flat against her stomach.

"This child will be beyond loved. He will be a mighty king who rules with an iron fist." Alaesys laughed and covered Aemond's hands with her own.

"A son? What if it were a girl?"

"Then May the Gods have mercy on any boy who lays eyes on her. Because I will not."