Chapter 24: Monster

Arabella

Feeling completely content in the large fluffy bed, I rolled over and threw my arm up to reach over Alec's large body, but to my surprise he wasn't next to me.

Opening my eyes, I searched around the dark room surprised to be alone.

Looking over at the bedside table, I rubbed my eyes in confusion as to why Alec would be up at 3 in the morning. He openly admitted he hadn't slept well when we were apart, so why would he be up at this time and not asleep with me.

Sitting up slowly, I looked over at the bathroom door thinking that he might be in the bathroom, but the door was open with the lights off.

Where is he?

A wave of fear and worry washed over me causing my anxiety to peak. What if I had been dreaming everything so vividly. What if Leon's dad actually succeeded with the plan and I was not even in England.

Slowly and cautiously kicking my feet off the edge of the bed, I shivered as a cold breeze hit me unexpectedly.

Grabbing the blanket off the top of the bed, I wrapped it around myself and started walking towards the closed bedroom door. Holding the door handle, I slowly twisted it round praying it wouldn't bring any unwanted attention to myself. 

Looking out in the dark hallway, I started making my way down the long corridor frightened about the lack of his presence.

Treading as quietly as possible, I walked towards a slightly ajar door that had a bright light glowing through the gaps of the door.

Standing before the door with fear and curiosity, I got as close to the gap as possible without making a noise and hoped to listen in on the muffled talking.

Peering through the gap, I felt my breath hitch in my throat at the sight of Alec walking around a beaten man on the floor. The man was unresponsive with blood pooled all around him.

Tears fell from my eyes as Alec held out his hand as another man dropped what appeared to be some bullets into the palm of his hand.

Watching him reload the gun, I quickly pressed my hand over my mouth to muffle my cries as Alec clipped on what seemed to be a silencer.

"He may be after me now, but he will never take her away from me again" he growled out before shooting the man on the floor, straight in the head.

Muffling the sound of my scream, I watched as all of the men laughed loudly as they raised their glasses. But my eyes were fixed on Alec who was smirking at the dead man on the floor.

Was he talking about Leon?

"Get rid of the body" Alec said dismissively as he sat down on an armchair as another man placed a cigar in his hand.

"Boss, do you think it's wise to keep this from your girl?" one of the men questioned Alec, but I was in too much shock to acknowledge who it was.

"Absolutely. If Arabella learns the truth, it will break her. For all she knows, he's safe. That's how I will keep it. I will not allow her to know the truth of what has happened to him".

Feeling completely overwhelmed with my reality, I took a step back away from the door and began to hyperventilate.

My sweet Alec killed without thought and he was openly lying to me about something that involved Leon.

What happened to Leon? What did he mean? Why would he lie to me?

Crashing into the wall, I looked between my bedroom door and the front door and knew I had only one choice.