28. Ruin

Lily:

"Liam is really worried about you." Ali says once I make my way over to her and Dave with a smile on my face.

I spent hours yesterday imagining how ugly my life would turn to be if they decide that they're better off without me. I even thought about how I would convince Natalie from the student support office to help me find another dorm if Ali no longer feels comfortable with me around. But watching them now and remembering everything they told me last night makes me wonder if I don't appreciate them enough.

"I love you." I blurt the words out nervously and with a stupid blush I clear my throat and explain. "I mean, I don't even know if I ever told you that, but I really love you both. I also wanted to thank you for understanding and for supporting me. And I wanted to say that you're my best friends and I'm really grateful for having you by my side. You're wonderful people and I don't know how I got so lucky to have met you but I'm really glad that I did."

Dave's eyes soften as he smiles at me and Ali giggles with her usual, wide grin. "We love you too, muffin. And we're the lucky ones to have someone so kind and strong as our best friend."

"Sister." Dave corrects, his eyes fixed on mine and shining bright with certainty. "I meant what I said last night, Lily. The moment I met you and you asked me to be good to Ali, I knew that you were a good, kind and compassionate person. I knew you had secrets, and we all do, but after everything you told us last night, I don't have a doubt that you're one of the greatest people that I've met. Despite how evil the world has been to you, you do nothing but spread kindness and wish everyone around you happiness. You need someone to look out for you, to be there for you and to protect you, no natter what. I want to be that person because it's a fucking honor, Lily. You've been there for Ali and you've been there for Colton. And I'm here for you too. You're no longer my friend, you're my little sister, and I want you to start believing that."

I can feel my chin trembling as I listen to Dave's words and I blink the water blurring my vision away. I spent years stuck in a life that constantly made me believe that I was an awful, evil, and despicable human being. I spent my days and nights praying that I could go back in time and erase the darkness I thought I had unleashed upon my soul.

Yet now I have finally realized, that I have been nothing but good all along. My whole life, I have been a nice person. Sweet, kind, polite, that has always been me. And to finally see that, I just needed to surround myself with people who appreciate the good in me and help me be better. And these three have been doing that since day one.

"Don't you dare cry, Lily." Ali points a finger at me with her eyebrows raised before she turns to Dave. "Colton will beat you if you make her cry."

Dave chuckles and nods his head.

Ali sighs when she sees my smile. "We love you more, and I want you to focus on moving forward from now on. No more crying, and no more reliving the past, Lily. You've had enough. Speaking about love, please give Liam a call."

"Yeah, he keeps asking about you every five fucking minutes." Dave groans beside her. "The dick even threatened to beat me up if I was covering for Colton hurting you. As if."

I grin, my soul happy with the amount of love I have finally found. "He loves me."

"Too much." Colton's grumpy voice comes from behind me and I turn to see him glaring at me, with a huge tray of food that he rests on the table.

"What did I do?" I shrug innocently, biting my lip to stop my smile from breaking onto my face.

"Have you submitted your assignment yet? It's due tonight." Ali interrupts our staring contest and my eyes widen with panic.