nine

"Okay class, listen up," Mr. Awazawa droned in front of the classroom.

"Today I'll be outlining what you're practical exam will be, which counts for 60% of your final grade. There will be two parts. An individual assessment based on what All-Might, Mic, and I feel would best test your overall growth this semester, and a team assessment based on the relationships you've made throughout your time here at UA." The classroom began to buzz with anticipation of their assigned teammates. Some people eyed a particular person, nervous to either be paired with or against them.

"Of course, we've taken your romantic affiliations in mind as well, and made sure to pair you accordingly, as this should produce the best teamwork. If you have a problem with your teammates, please talk to me outside of class. Now, I wrote the team assignments on the board, but for the rest of the class time you'll each be meeting individually with All-Might to discuss the details of your individual assessments. If anything happens, please don't wake me up," and with that, Mr. Awazawa collapsed on the floor in his sleeping bag.

Yaoyorozu nervously shifted in her seat as Ida went to pull up the chalkboard and reveal their fates. She felt Todoroki's hands on her shoulders, he must have gotten up from his seat to stand behind her. He gave her a light squeeze as they both saw they had been paired together. She turned around and lifted her head to kiss him, a smile on both of their lips. Knowing she'd be with him during the final exam took so much weight off of her!

"I can't believe we get to work together on the final!" She beamed up at her boyfriend. Many others in the class were also shouting their approval of the teams.

"I know! There's no way we won't be great together. It's not a guaranteed win though, I know they won't hold back just because we're a power team," Todoroki replied, softly rubbing his thumb against the back of her hand. Recently, he had changed to reaching for Yaoyorozu whenever he was deep in thought instead of touching his scar. It was a nice change of pace.

"They didn't give us any information on what the actual test would be... How do you think we should prepare? I mean, there's always sparring... but I feel like we could think of some other ways to prepare too," Yaoyorozu was already brainstorming on their weaknesses and strengths.

"Well, I was already trying to research some new materials and inventions that you could create. I have the files saved on my computer," he said looking down at her. She was continually amazed at how he could ignore everyone else in the room and focus on her, while still being aware of it all at the same time. Even though she felt selfish for it, she really enjoyed his attention.

"Really?! I had no idea you were even thinking that far ahead. Mind if I come  check it out after class?" She asked, eager to acquire new knowledge on how to use her quirk. He hummed and nodded his approval. Suddenly, her mind was alive with anticipation for their test, instead of cramped full of anxiety and self-doubt.

She didn't waste any time after the final bell rang. They both went straight to Todoroki's dorm and he opened the files he had saved. He explained each of the three things he was currently looking into: an ultra-adhesive similar to Mineta's orbs, a multi-utility tool, and the newest formula for the temperature-resistant fabric he used in his hero costume.

The fabric caught her eye the most, especially since they'd be working together. It wouldn't burn, become brittle in the cold, or wear down from extreme friction or poisoning. Clicking on the link, she read through the patent and the chemical makeup. No doubt this was cutting-edge stuff, it was more complex than most of the objects she had seen before, but not outside of her capacity to create.

"I'm going to try it," she informed him before closing her eyes to focus.

"Already?" He murmured quietly beside her. It took her longer to create than the other times he had watched her, but her concentration didn't break. After ten minutes, a pair of gloves materialized from out of her chest. The material was thin and flexible, almost like a single layer of tape, it was hard to believe it would be so durable.