31. The Truth

I didn't know what to say. Yes I had feelings for him but all of a sudden this word, soulmate felt more of a trap rather than hope in the darkness.
"Miraak, I...I don't know what to say."

"I know how you felt when Brynjolf proposed and you probably just want to be free of me anyway so, I guess we should just read the word on the word wall and be done with it then."

"That's not really what I meant."

"Oh?"

"I do love you Miraak, but I'm still trying to deal with what happened with Brynjolf and I."

"Wait, you love me?"

I felt a smile spread across my lips as I said it, " I... yes I love you."

"Well it doesn't have to be today, or next week, or a month or even a year but I will wait for you to be ready, if that's what you want."

"It's not that I'm not ready it's just that, I can't be tied back, I have to be free."

"I would never hold you back. I would never stop you from being free."

"You are saying that now but..."

"No I really mean it. I have been locked up for over four thousand years, and if anyone ever tried to hold me back from being free I would probably kill them. I would never let that happen to you."

I felt like I couldn't breath, it was as if everything I had ever wanted was before me at this moment. I untied my mask taking it off and placing it on the pilar.

I could see complete seriousness on Miraak's face but on my own I could only feel a smile spreading across my face. "Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes I accept you, I want to be with you, Miraak."

"You do?"

"Yes." I ran over to him and wrapped my arms around his neck and closed my eyes as he wrapped arms his around my waist. At that moment I felt something happen, something click into place and suddenly I opened my eyes and I could see swirls of light around us, the same that normally appeared when a dragon soul was absorbed. "What is this?"

"Well little dragon," he breathed into my neck, "I think this means we now have our powers back."

I pulled back a little and looked into his face, at his lips which was now a smirk. "Please don't call me that."

"Okay little little thief."

"Now that I prefer." As I said it and the glowing lights got brighter he lifted me of the floor and spun me around, I couldn't help laughing.

Suddenly there was a loud noise from upstairs and I realised that it was unusually loud. Everything went deadly quiet for a few seconds and then there was an earth shattering scream.

The glowing lights completely stopped and Miraak slowly put me down on the floor.

"Alye, that doesn't sound good."

"What if something has happened to Vex or Brynjolf."

There was another crash and more screams now."
"Miraak, we need to go."

We ran of in the direction of the party and luckily I had worn my nightingale boots underneath my dress incase this exact situation had happened. We got to the end of the passage where the trap door was. Miraak shone a ball of mage light over the trap door to see the chain but when I looked up there was blood seeping through the tiled floor and into the passage. I looked at Miraak and in his eyes that I could see clearly now after he took of the mask further down the passage and all I could see was pure knowing that this next part was about to become very dangerous.

Miraak pulled on the leaver and we both climbed up the ladder through the hole. There was blood practically coating the floor only there were no bodies, and stood in the middle of the room was Bolek, holding a knife to Vex's throat.

"VEX!" I shouted.

"Ah Ah Ah, don't come and closer or poor Vex here will be removed from her body." I could see Vex gulp from across the room.

"Let her go."

"Give him to me and I will."

"What did you do?" I asked looking at all of the blood.

"Well as you know I used the mask to escape falling to my death." He pulled out the green mask from the satchel at his side and held it out in front.

I stayed silent and so did Miraak to my surprise.

Bolek continued, "Well, Mora decided that I was no match to you, and he became obsessed with getting you back Miraak, so he modified me, changed the way I worked, made me dragon born."

"That's impossible."

"Is it?" Bolek shouted, not a normal shout with a word of power, like a man shouting. Then the whole building shook, the blood on the floor ripped with the pure power of it. "The people that were here were disintegrated. Sadly Ulfric and most other people got away."

"You monster."

"No, non of this would have happened if it wasn't for you Miraak."

"No, FUS RO DAH." Miraak shouted at Bolek and he was thrown backwards, shattering the mask on the floor. The blast didn't hit Vex and she scrambled of to the side to an open door way where I saw Brynjolf taking cover.

I scowled at Miraak. "What, he was talking too much."

Miraak threw a fire ball at Bolek as he scrambled to his feet. I cast my magic bow and aimed it at Bolek eve though this seemed like Bolek's final stand. Miraak stepped closer now aiming an ice spike right at his heart. "I am willing to let you go Bolek, if you leave right this second I won't fire this ice spike through your heart."

"How about this." Bolek dove at Miraak and before I even knew what had happened, grabbed a shard of the smashed mask and jammed it into Miraak's chest. "How is that for power."

Miraak stepped backwards, the shard sticking from his chest, blood pouring from the wound and down his suite. I immediately shot Bolek with my arrow, killing him instantly but I done regretted it because the death was too quick.

"Miraak?"
He collapsed to the floor and I went to my knees next to him.

"Alye, I think this might be it."

"What do you mean, it can't be, you are immortal."

"The mask shard is enchanted to...to steal the mind of...of whoever wears it...I...I can feel it trying to take hold of my brain."

"No it can't."

"The...the make is trying to get me to...to kill you Alye."

"No...no, you can't, just fight it."

"I'm sorry."