"The difference is I have healthy coping mechanisms. And I never said I have it all figured out. It's easier said than done. I've never known how to deal with emotions, but I know how not to and that I avoid completely."

"Yet you left a girl who probably loved you because…," she paused, realizing that she was about to say something that she would not be able to take back. She was about to throw something he'd openly told her, but didn't have to, in his face.

"Because what Shane?" gone was the friendly tone in his voice. He was very serious, and his face was evidence enough.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have tried to say that." she immediately swallowed, lowering her gaze so she could look at her hands. She was on her knees as she shook her head. "My brain is trying to fight you off. To protect me. Cause that's all we've known. Protecting us. Team Shane."

She bit her lip. She could feel the emotion travelling through her system towards her eyes. Towards her hand which slightly began to shake. It was light, not noticeable if you weren't paying attention. Yet he was.

"I came back to Chicago the first time around, so I could gain the strength to confront my biological father. I also came here to get into the law system, so I could do police work. Eventually becoming a detective. Nadia and I became friends because she already worked at the station. Her dad was the captain, so she easily hooked me up with a job there."

A small smile came alive onto her face, and simultaneously a tear ran down her cheek.

"Nadia is of course married to David. We all became such cool friends. But poor David didn't know that Nadia had a relationship on the side with her dad's golden boy, Detective Marcellus Graham. I knew of course, cause the best friend always knows. It was none of my business, so I never said anything. I was loyal." she hit her chest once, another singular tear slowly cascading down her cheek.

"But loyalty never counts for anything I guess," she scoffed, shaking her head.

"Nonetheless, fast forward to me being there a year plus, and she was promoted to being detective. I was tryna get into that spot too. The chief and commander, someone higher than Nadia's father, whom I decided to become close to, said I had a shot at it. I just had to help with this investigation they had going on."

"I had goals, and plans to achieve them fast. That was about to become a reality." a bitter smile came to surface this time around. Followed by a chuckle, and her shaking her head again.

"I go undercover, and I'm required to tell no one. Only report to the CC. Whilst undercover, my partner was Detective Marcellus Graham, who just so happened to be Nadia's side dish. That's my girl's man, so I stay respectful as always. Even when we shared a space because of the job. I'm gonna pin this part of the story for now, then connect it later. So don't forget it," she used her hands to demonstrate, and all Hendrichs did was nod his head.

"Nonetheless, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but occasionally we'd have a brunch, or late lunch early supper at Nadia's parents house. I got along with them quite well. On this particular day, it was brunch day. I arrived, and Nadia, her husband and mother weren't home. They'd gone to get the food and meat from the store." she paused, taking a breath before she shook her head – a sad smile on her face.

"I remember it like yesterday, because everytime I think about it…it feels like yesterday." his eyes remained on her face. He could see that she was slowly drifting away into her mind.

"As I got there. I had on a strappy summer dress that went over my knees. Very modest. It had a slit till my hip, but it wasn't very obvious unless I added weight to my right leg." Yet again, she paused —closing her eyes.