Chapter Ten: The Inn

Ember stared into the glowing orange flames, her thoughts wandering to the morning conversation with her aunt and gran. An audible POP from the log in the fireplace stirred her from her musings. She glanced around the shop smiling. All their hard work was coming to fruition.

The shop was complete and set up for the opening day. The only thing left was hanging the sign that had been delivered shortly after their arrival.

It was still in its crate, waiting for them to unbox and hang it outside the shop.

Ember eyed the crate, chewing on her lip, wondering which design her Aunt Arwen had decided on. She knew that any of the designs would look great, but she hoped her favorite and personal design was the one her aunt had chosen.

Ember tried relentlessly to get her aunt to give her a hint as to what the sign looked like, but the stubborn woman wouldn't clue her in on which one she picked.

"Are you sure you don't want to take a peek at it? Don't we need to make sure it arrived safely, that it isn't damaged?" Ember huffed, causing a bubble of laughter to erupt from the back of the store.

Arwen appeared next to Ember, a crooked smirk dancing on her lips. "I'm sure, sweetie. I have seen the finished product. Mr. Geirham sent pictures, and I've looked at it."

Ember's head snapped up. Her eyes became two slits as she scowled at her aunt.

Arwen snorted a laugh.

"You cheated," Ember grumbled, slapping her thigh in mock frustration.

"You'll live," Arwen said dryly, smiling at her niece. "You will see it first thing tomorrow. Have patience, girl."

Ember folded her arms over her chest. She wanted to see that sign.

Arwen turned towards the front of the store, her back facing the still-pouting woman. The smile fell from her face as soon as her niece could no longer see her. "Why don't you go explore our village a bit before the rain starts up again? I'll finish up here and meet you at home."

Ember dusted the front of her skirt, brushing away any soot she may have gotten on the pretty folds while kneeling in front of the fireplace.

"Take your cloak!" Her aunt called after her as she made her way toward the door.

Ember smiled to herself, stopping at the door to grab the dark moss-colored cloak, then slipped outside.

She could see the dark clouds in the distance, rolling towards the village.

She paused, taking a deep breath; the air smelled like rain and the briny sea that surrounded them. But there was something else, Something familiar that she couldn't quite pick up on, unknown.

But strangely familiar.

She pulled the cloak tight around her and headed towards the pub.

"Ember, Wait up!" A voice stopped her in her tracks.

She hadn't seen anyone since the night of the festival. But living in a village as small as this one, she knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.

"Hey, Conor," Ember said, turning slowly.

He stood, a basket in his arms, full of bread, meats, and what looked like eggs. Conor smiled sheepishly. "I was going to come see you the night after the festival, but my sister thought you might need some time to...." He paused as if searching for the right words.

"Some time to adjust," A female voice said from behind her.

Ember glanced back and saw Selia glaring at her brother.