Chapter Eleven

He sat in the dark corner booth, his hood pulled up, covering his face in shadows. He watched as she entered the pub; recognizing her was immediate.

What was she doing with them? Did she not know what she was? How could she not know?

Then he saw Mrs. D walk up to their table. He strained to tune out the pub chatter, listening in on their conversation.

That's when he heard it.

"You be Nori's granddaughter...you an your aunt...opening that...shop across the way."

His green eyes widened like he had been punched in the gut.

Witches! Her family was witches!

It wasn't possible.

He wracked his brain; She was Nori's granddaughter, Her Aunt- The shop. That meant that her parents had to be-

NO!

He felt a slight panic begin to set in.

She didn't know. Yet, it was only a matter of time before she did.

He had to talk to her. To make sure.

He wouldn't be the one to tell her.

He couldn't. Could he?

A low grumble left his throat involuntarily. He saw her eyes go wide and dart frantically around the pub. He slumped down further into his corner, adjusting his hood. He could see the gold in her eyes brighten, glowing.

'Shit!'

What was he supposed to do about this? About her? Should he leave the village?

No, he couldn't do that.

He watched her intently. She had her eyes closed, and the girl next to her, Selia, had a hand on her arm, whispering to her.

Someone walked in front of him, blocking his view.

"Can I get you another one?" A soft female voice asked.

He glanced up at the barmaid, A small girl with mousy brown hair and icy blue eyes. She gave him a flirtatious smile, transforming her face. Normally he would consider this girl beautiful, and she was; but since the night of the festival, when she appeared to him- No one else would ever compare.

"Ya, sure, whatever," He replied dismissively, leaning so he could once again see her.

The waitress followed his gaze, her cheeks flushed red, and her eyes blazed with anger. He could smell the jealousy on her.

"You like my cousin's girlfriend?" The girl sneered.

Jealousy floated around her, clung to her; like a heavy fog. But it was more than just that. Much more.

He studied her as she stood before him. No longer beautiful. The nasty attitude ruined what beauty she would have.

"I'll take that pint now," he said.

She sucked in a breath and turned, stomping back towards the bar.

He needed to get out of there. He pulled out his wallet, laying the money on the table, and slipped out of his seat and the pub unnoticed, or so he thought.

Deidra returned with his drink a few minutes later, only to find the booth empty. She huffed in frustration, fisting the money he left for his tab. Then, she turned her attention to the booth her cousins occupied.

Fire and determination shot through her, settling in her hardened blue eyes.

Ember sat at the table, staring after the hooded man as he hurried from the pub.