And finally, dad accepted it - half-heartedly so - and had stopped by my room a few days ago to tell me that he had passed the message on to the Jeons and that I should get ready for the weekend to meet with their son.

So here I was doing just that.

I stared into the mirror and the reflection of myself stared back. A dress draped around my body like a glove, black fabric elegantly reaching to my knees. It left no room for an opinion, so he wouldn't be able to judge my choices based on my appearance.

Simple jewelry, black heels, and my purse were all he would receive. I was neither nervous nor excited, my eyebrows in their natural shape as I touched up my lip gloss.

I didn't want to come across as having made an effort with the way I looked, but that didn't mean I wouldn't dress up as fancy as could be expected in a restaurant of such class. I knew where I needed to look good and no one would get a chance to see me slip just because the occasion was a different one.

I wondered if my soon-to-be spouse had been the one to fight it because his father had come up with the idea in the first place. But I gauged that no one must have stopped him from this marriage.

I didn't hate him, because I needed to know a person before I allowed such strong feelings. Besides, I realized that he was probably just as unexcited about this outcome as I was, and it would have been unfair to hold him responsible for it when it had been both of our choices.

Still, I pushed those thoughts into a forgotten corner, because what mattered was that this marriage would happen. After all, both parties had already agreed. Taking one last look in the mirror, I heard a knock on my door before Sophia entered.

The car to pick you up is here she announced and I noticed the band-aid wrapped around her pinky, but she waved her hand when she saw my gaze on it.

"I'm ready," I said, making my way to the door.

Sophia stopped me and her hand on my shoulder slid down until it squeezed my fingers. You look beautiful she complimented.

I didn't know if it was a sincere one, but a smile found its way onto my lips and I squeezed her hand back. Sophia always managed to make me feel better and her warm eyes were just what I needed to get me through the night.

Keeping my nose high, I descended the stairs. I wasn't expecting it, but there had been a small seed of hope in me that perhaps my father would want to see me before I left, but there was no one at the entrance and so the brick in my chest grew to double in size.

I knew that he would embrace the idea that I would soon be married - he had to - but there seemed to be a long way to go before that happened. But if that wasn't the case, he wouldn't have come to me a few days ago to share that the marriage was happening.

Sophia opened the front door for me and a polished black car was already parked in the dark night. The driver was patiently waiting, one hand resting professionally behind his back. When he saw me, he opened the back door without hesitation and my heels clicked against the pavement before I got in.

Making myself comfortable in the leather seat, I pushed the electric partition between the driver and me closed, granting me privacy. Maybe it was a way to maintain distance from the life I would soon be living.

The ride down to town took long enough for me to sort out my thoughts. My mind was mostly blank as far as the evening was concerned. I had no ideas or expectations and so I continued to look out the tinted window as the streetlights flashed past me.