“Alright class, because of last week’s little mishap,” She looked pointedly at Ryan and Sam, the two troublemakers who blew up the Chemistry lab last week, “I will be assigning your partners.” People immediately began complaining and Ms. Polk had to yell over them in order to be heard.

“This will be until the end of the year and that’s final. No more complaining.”

I sighed and blanked out, hoping I’d get someone who was at least somewhat decent.

“Ashley, Temmy; Leah, Sam; Kelsey, Ryan; Sarah, Melissa; Ian, Cameron; Lee, Amanda.” The teacher read off the list. I shot a sympathetic look at Temmy. She has the worst luck in the world, I mean, she had to sit next to her in class yesterday and now she was her chemistry partner? That was just rotten luck. I went and sat next to Amanda, glad that my partner was my friend.

“Hola partner!” I said.

“Bonjour weird person who speaks in Spanish a lot.” Amanda replied.

“Hey, you love the fact that I speak in Spanish.”

“Sure, do you even take Spanish?”

“Nope, I only know how to say a couple words since Temmy takes Spanish. I take French.”

“Awesome, I take French too.”

“Cool.”  Ms. Polk wrote the instructions on the white board and we started working.

“Just to warn you, I stink at chemistry. I mean, I’m good at the book work and all that stuff but I tend to mess up measuring things and that tends to lead to explosions.” Amanda said.

“That’s ok, I’m not good at measuring things either, but nothing’s blown up yet so I think we’ll be ok.” I replied.

We finished our work and started writing the report on our observations of the experiments. Chemistry was the one class where I couldn’t finish my stuff in advance because the homework usually had something to do with what we did in class. The bell sounded, signaling the end of class. Amanda and I waited for Temmy outside the classroom. She finally emerged and collapsed dramatically to the ground.

“Finally! Fresh air! Freedom at last! Praise the lord I can breathe!!” She exclaimed.

“Was it really that bad?” Amanda asked.

“Of course it was. I was partnered with Ashley.” Temmy said.

“Who’s Ashley?”

“Right, I keep forgetting that you don’t know anybody here. Well Ashley is the head cheerleader, head slut, a total b****, and is currently dating Ian and won’t let anybody forget it.” Temmy explained. “You have no idea how torturous for me to hear about him constantly. I mean, she never shuts up!”

“At least you don’t have all of your classes with her and Ian,” I said.

“What? We have all of our classes with them?” Amanda asked. I nodded.

“Well this is just dandy now ain’t it.” She muttered.

We made our way to the French class, where Temmy left us as she headed toward Spanish class. We claimed a table in the front and I finished my chemistry essay while I waited for class to start. I heard a chair scrape across the hard wood floor and I looked over to see Ian taking the seat next to Amanda. I groaned.

“What are you doing here?” Amanda asked sharply.

“Sitting, of course.” He replied. Amanda looked up and smirked, waving at someone.

“Your girlfriend doesn’t seem very happy about that. In fact, she looks down right pissed.”

I looked to where Amanda had looked and saw Ashley standing there looking like she was going to murder someone. Namely Amanda. She stormed over to our table and glared at Amanda.