Chapter 14 - Sweet or Sour

The lounge room seems to shrink and fade as the news discloses from the screen and I find my mouth uncomfortably dry.

"Another body has been discovered matching the same gruesome, self-inflicted wounds as the fourteen others found in New York City recently. There are still little answers to ease the general public."

The news anchor swallows roughly before tucking back her dark braids, bracing herself and us for the story as it unravels.

"Viewers, please be warned that the following images are confronting. Viewer discretion is advised."

Detective Wright studies every expression that flickers across my face and despite feeling uncomfortable I refuse to turn away. That would only raise her suspicions and right now it's crucial that I convince her of my innocence.

A graphic hand-drawn picture of a body is flashed across the screen and I'm thankful that it's not coloured. Seeing the body covered in blood would have been too much for me right now.

My mind hauling me back to the sight of Colin's bloody cuffs.

"This sketch provided by the local morgue shows, in detail, the wounds painfully caused by the victims themselves based off of the weaponry left near their bodies and the prints to match."

The outline is crude and I hope the morgue worker doesn't get paid extra for their sketches. However, it certainly gets the message across, quite literally.

'I know your secret' is carved into their chests, each body varying in size and depth. As the chronological order of victims is shown, I notice that the wounds grow more and more aggressive. The newest victim has slashed so violently into their body that only every few letters are visible due to the ferocity. However, it's definitely a match as all fourteen sketches flash across the screen.

The ages range from sixteen to forty and I find myself desperately wanting to reject responsibility for this. This could be the insane work of anybody, why is it assumed that it's Omen? Why is it assumed that it's because of me?

Those thoughts are quickly snuffed as the reporter continues.

"Each victim not only has a message carved into their chests but they also have removed their ears with the same blade and this has been the determined cause of death with major blood loss expelling from this area. If anyone has any information about these grave suicides, please don't hesitate to notify the police. Thank you."

I feel Detective Wright reach out towards me and I flinch powerfully, only to find that she's pushing my hair behind my ear and revealing my bright pink hearing aid. I don't notice the tears running down my cheeks until Detective Wright's face drops at the sight of them.

I look pathetic as I cringe away from her. Covered in wounds and tears, I hardly recognise myself.

So much for that New York grit.

Omen must have impelled Colin to tell him everything we spoke of. I worry for Colin's safety and consider asking Detective Wright to contact the prison, but deep down I know that he is still alive.

He's alive because it tortures him to be so and that's exactly what Omen wants.

At this rate, he'll probably outlive me.

"I didn't believe you and for that, I am sorry, Esmeralda. I still don't know how much I am able to believe but I promise you that I'm going to try harder." Detective Wright hesitantly assures and it takes every cell in my body to resist even a trickle of hope.

I snatch the remote and switch off the television, plunging the room into silence.

"Every person I have gotten involved with this mess has either been really, really badly hurt or wound up dead," I warn solemnly and I arch a brow as the detective charmingly smirks.