Chapter 3 - Fact or Fiction

"We can't thank you enough for your time Miss Valerio, truly you have given us a lot to... Discuss and investigate."

Detective Smalls responds, smiling with far too many teeth while a frown darkens my features.

I knew the moment I started giving my account of that horrifying night in this depressing hospital room, in this humiliating hospital gown, and among ridiculous beeping of various unnecessary devices hooked into me that I wasn't being taken seriously.

In fact I wasn't being believed at all.

My stormy eyes latch onto Detective Smalls partner, her introduction earlier provided her with the name Detective Wright. She's a pleasure to look at and in another circumstance and with another personality I may have been so bold as to ask her out for drinks sometime.

But the situation is dire and if there is one thing I hate more than being a closeted bisexual it's being treated like I'm nothing, I get that enough being the middle child of four successful siblings.

"This isn't good enough! I've given you a damn good description, the direction he left in and even his method of killing, you have cameras to track him and prints to condemn so what are you waiting for? Get his address and throw him somewhere to rot!" I cry out and my heart monitor elevates as I attempt to roll out of the flimsy bed with thin blankets that are surprisingly suffocating around my sweating form.

My eyes plead with the pretty detective and her dark brows crease in sympathy as she glances at her older partner for permission to take this.

Her dark yet somehow still glimmering eyes return to mine after confirmation and I find her Asian features to be even more beautiful up close as she wanders over to my bed and raises her hand to stop me struggling out of the bed.

Though her stature is small her stance is firm matching the firm peaks of her pixie cut that are modeled into sharp points and highlight her soft olive toned jawline.

"You've done your part very well Miss Valerio. We can't thank you enough, but we now need to head back to the station to find the rest of the puzzle pieces while you rest and recover. You're more than just a witness, you're also a person and protecting your health is also our priority."

I want to believe her kind words, I truly do but something just doesn't make sense, their reactions are too muted and slow for a murder let alone the impossible threat the murderer presents.

"Have you managed to contact Wendy's family yet? I'd like to speak to them if I could at the very least." I call out as a last resort to feel helpful. The officers turn to leave but my request makes them pause and share a glance.

"I understand if it's confidential or why they might not want to see me but letting them know about Wendy's final moments could help them begin to recover, I do believe Wendy was thinking of them." I ramble as they continue sharing odd looks and my cheeks redden as I realize that they are dismissing me once again.

"What is WRONG with you two?!" I eventually explode and this time I do manage to heave my way out of my bed but the pretty detective matches my energy and takes a step towards me, holding her hand up firmly.

"Miss Valerio there was no body in the bathrooms!" She firmly states. Her voice doesn't raise, however, it feels as though she's screamed it at me, as it echoes in my head. I feel the energy vacuum out of every pore as I drop back onto the creaky bed, like a puppet's ties being cut mid act.

"Wha-What do you mean? They took the body? What about the blood?!" I mumble out and lift my hand pierced with a IV up to my cheek, expecting to still feel it stained with her blood.