Darkness Lurking // Storybrooke

Start from the beginning

He was upset and wanted to talk. 

She met him by the docks, watching him as he was looking up at his ship. His face read sadness, but she could feel the anger bubbling inside him. 

"She's beautiful," Kyla called out, announcing her presence. He barely turned his head. 

"That she is," Hook said. 

She stood next to him, eyeing him from the side. Hook called her, but she didn't know if she should be the one to start the conversation. 

He took a steep breath in. 

"Emma and I talked today," he said. 

"Oh," was all she could say. 

"She swears that she's Emma. This is just a newer version of her. She wants me to still love her...but how could I?" He said, his voice growing angrier. 

"Are you...asking for dating advice? I don't have a lot of experience-"

"You have magic," he said, turning sharply toward her. 

Her eyebrows furrowed. She didn't remember telling him. 

"Yes," she answered slowly. 

"In Emma's house, there's a door to the basement that she is keeping closed off from me. I need to know what's down there."

"And I'm guessing asking her didn't work?" Kyla asked. 

"She's beyond that," Hook said, releasing her from his gaze. "I need you." 

"To break into the Dark One's home?" She asked. 

"You were never afraid of Rumplestiltskin," he said. 

"That's because it was Rumple!" She exclaimed. "I've always had the upper hand with Rumple. He would never hurt me. Emma knows about my magic and Emma will try to kill me." 

"Then don't let her," Hook said. 

"I promised her parents I wouldn't kill her." 

"I need to know what she's hiding from me!" He shouted. 

Kyla didn't flinch. 

"You can feel it too, can't you?" She asked quietly. 

"What?" 

"The anger that's inside of you? It's not buried as deep as I thought." 

"Of course I'm angry," he said. 

"This is different and I know you can feel it," she said, facing him. "Killian, tell me what's going on, please. I want to help you." 

"I need Emma," he said quietly. "I need her. I can't explain it. And I've lost her." 

"Maybe not forever," Kyla said, trying to be reassuring. "The Savior is still in there somewhere." 

"You don't believe that," he said, shaking his head. 

"But you do."

He looked at her, his eyes piercing into hers like every secret he was carrying dared to be poured out through that one look. 

"I'll help you," she said, feeling the defeat. 

Hook didn't answer. He gave her the most thankful look he could before her phone started ringing again. She heard herself groan, picking it up to see her sister calling. 

They were all meeting back at the Sheriff's station. Arthur and his wife, Guinevere, were worried about the state of Camelot's people. They were desperate to return home. Snow wanted to help raise spirits, so Henry suggested holding a dance.