17. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 ℌ𝔢𝔩𝔭

It was one of those days, so busy and unnecessarily packed with things to get done, but not interesting enough to require a lot of attention. Even as I thrust myself into the next lecture, assignement, meeting, task barely pulling myself out of the previous, I couldn't chase away the tangled messy haze of thoughts clouding my head and blurring out everything else I am supposed to be focusing on.

At the end of my last lecture, I learned that I had once again been turned down from another job I had high hopes for. The only solace I had was knowing it wasn't completely due to my incompetency, but the work of Dean who desired keeping me controlled as much as possible. There was nothing I could do about it but find my favourite spot in the library and get through material for my thesis. At least I can try to make some progress if I dedicate myself to it.

"Hey." Maddie sat opposite me, handing me an energy bar. I thanked her and took a bite. Our librarian would kick us both out if he realizes we're sneaking food in. "You look like you're going to nod off any second now. Honestly, why are you holed up here with a thousand books? You can't possibly be that busy."

I paid her no mind and continued typing. "We're not all smart and gifted like you and Dom. Some of us have to actually put in effort you know."

She gasped dramatically. "Are you saying I don't put in effort? Are you even my friend?"

I gave her a knowing look. "I'm saying you've been top of the class ever since I met you in middle school. You're booksmart so you only need to put in effort when it comes to details." I handed her the draft I got back from my supervisor in the morning. "On the other hand, I have to put in twice as much time if I want good enough results."

She skimmed the paper and notes. "You're not wrong but you've also had consistently good grades in academics so far. You're just putting us all to shame with how hardworking and diligent you are."

I pointed a pen at her threateningly. "Flattery will get you nowhere. What do you need?"

Maddie put down the paper and scowled at me. "How did you know I needed something?"

"You give yourself away." I took back my notes, munching on the rest of the oat bar. "You come bearing gifts and then you compliment me. What's next?"

"Tch." She relaxed back against her chair, crossing her arms. "You're no fun."

I leaned in. "What's this about?"

She hesitated, the look on her face that of the cogs turning inside her head. "Is your friend avoiding me?"

"My friend?" I raised my brow in question. I might as well entertain myself.

"You know!" She sighed, rearranging her bangs. "He hadn't been popping out of the blue and annoying me like usual. I was just wondering if he hadn't died in some ditch or something."

I tapped the table lightly, trying to hide my smile. "Didn't I say I'll let you two handle your own affairs? I'm not getting involved anymore."

Maddie rolled her eyes, staring at the ceiling for some silent seconds before she gave up and sighed. "Oh come on Lily. Just this once. He must have told you what he's thinking. What is going on?"

I pretended to consider slowly and carefully before she took hold of my arm and shook me. "Come on! I'll buy you dinner, I promise."

"Ramen?" I narrowed my eyes at her and she nodded vigorously.

I took my arm away. She has more strength than one might think. "Why do you care anyway? If he didn't come find you then you must have an inkling as to why."