06. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 𝔊𝔲𝔦𝔰𝔢

A double update because why not?

Friendly reminder to vote and comment to support me and the story! 

TY <3

»»————-  🖌 ————-««

"You still haven't talked to ginger?" Leo asked. He sat flicking through a newspapers in his usual table at the back corner of the shop. The few afternoon customers consisted mostly of regulars who live in the neighbourhood, either having a cup of coffee and reading or enjoying music. Only a couple students occupied the window seats absorbed in their papers. Sam and I worked this particularly chilly afternoon and evening together, thus we had plenty of time to sit and talk to Leo without much disturbance.

I sighed. "Not really. She didn't reach out and I've just been busy with class and work. I couldn't make time to talk to her."

"It's weird how you two are becoming more and more distant. Your fights never used to last more than a day." Leo kneaded his beard thoughtfully. "Are you sure it has nothing to do with your handsome friend?"

Of course he had to emphasise the word friend because he couldn't let my love life, or the lack thereof, just go. Not to mention, he effectively reminded me of the fact that my conversation with Dominic was cut short because he had to go to work urgently. But not before we agreed that he'd visit later to continue our talk- Well more like he'd made a non-negotiable plan and went to work leaving me flabbergasted in his wake. It was much better than continuing with the same tone where we left off. I ran my fingers absently through my hair and looked at Sam who sat unbothered, playing video games on his phone with the tip of his tongue poked in concentration. I shook my head at the ridiculous boy and met Leo's awaiting gaze.

"Well she's the one who brought up some very unsavoury details about our past. That's not even counting the things she'd said to Dom as well." I sighed. "I do hope she comes around and at least apologizes to him. It's not like she and I can be mad at each other forever. We'll eventually and inevitably make up one way or another."

Leo's chest rumbled with laughter. "That is very true. You two can't be separated for long." He cleared his throat. "However, are you not in the least concerned that she hasn't tried to contact you?"

I shrugged, "Honestly, after many years of friendship, I'd be lying if I said I understand Maddie's way of rationalizing things in her head. I'm a tad bit hurt that she isn't reaching out, but I'm trying not to dwell on it. I'll give her time to come around."

Leo gave me a gentle pat on the hand. This man never failed to treat me like a child but it still warms my heart and fills a void deep within. I smiled gratefully at him and stood up just when the door bells chimed.

To my surprise and confusion, it was none other than Madeline. I thought it weird, her coming here without checking with me first to see if I would be working or not since I didn't have a fixed schedule. I was about to greet her when she evaded my gaze, my scowl deepened further at the person entering right behind her. It was the asshole who had bumped into me the other day and refused to apologize. One of her boyfriend's friends. She noticed I was standing still and gave me a hesitant smile. I must have glared back the same second her companion looked at me. He walked ahead of her to a vacant table without sparing me another glance, and I decidedly turned the other way. Finding Sam and interrupting his gaming session, not without many protests, I asked him to serve them instead but when he'd noticed they were sat on one of my tables, he flipped me the bird and refused to go. The annoying brat.

I gave up and tried to ignore Leo's amused gaze as I dragged my feet toward them, occupying my hands with a notebook and pen. "Hello, what would you guys like to get?" I grumbled, less than cordially.