11. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔶

"Hey, is Maddie staying with you by any chance?" I walked subconsciously to the café after I left the house in a fit of anger, dialling Maddie's friend. I needed to get to her.

"Yeah she's been with me. We both want to go to this party on the west end tonight." Jade, Madeline's friend, explained. Judging from the background noise, music and giggling, they must have already gotten to said party.

"Can I talk to her for a minute?"

"Oh, sorry Lily." She replied distractedly. I could barely hear her voice. "She left to find her boyfriend a while ago. I'll tell her you called though if I see her around."

I cursed mentally and thanked her before hanging up. I can't stand the thought of her being with that jerk as he shamelessly plays her. The café was about to close, Sam's silhouette was visible through the glass windows as he cleaned the tables and chairs. I sighed and decided to go in since I'd already made it this far.

"Hey dude." He greeted when I came in. "What're you doing here so late?"

"Came in to annoy you obviously." I replied to his rude comment.

He rolled his eyes and flipped me the bird. "I got a party to attend so don't get in my way."

My ears perked up at the mention of that, hoping against all odds that he was talking about the same party. After all he attended the same university as the rest of us. "Tell me you're talking about the one on the west end?"

He squinted his eyes at me. "I didn't know you were into partying, but yeah that's the one."

I tossed a terribly folded napkin at him. "You're a freaking angel sent from above Samuel!"

"What the!" He dodged the flying napkin. "You have odd ways of showing gratitude, and what do you mean anyway?"

"I'm going with you to the party." I straddled a chair backwards and watched him re-fold the napkin properly.

"You? Going to a party with who now?" A gruff voice sounded behind me. I tilted my head back and gave Leo a smile in greeting, but he kept frowning at Sam and I suspiciously.

Sam threw his hands in the air dramatically, complaining to Leo. "I swear it was not my idea. She just showed up and ordered me to take her to the party I told you about." He turned to me. "Are you drunk, high?"

"Samuel!" Leo groaned, visibly appalled by the suggestions. The look on his face made me want to laugh. He was a very traditional italian macho sort of man, even after years of living here there is no changing him. The images Sam keeps putting in his head would probably cause him a heart attack one day. He looked at me disapprovingly. "This is not like you, cara. What is this about?"

"Leo, calm down." I nudged his side. "I'm only going because I need to talk to Maddie. She's ignoring me and I cannot postpone what I want to tell her."

He relaxed slightly. "Did something happen again?"

"No. Well, her boyfriend is cheating." I sighed . "I saw him earlier with some other girl doing unspeakable things and thought I'd let her know. I might also crash at her place tonight."

"Lilianne." He gave me a stern paternal look. With his supernatural senses, I won't be surprised if he already figured out I argued with Emilia again. "Come home tonight, you still have your keys no?"

I gave him a small appreciative smile. I hated worrying him. He's done more for me than any adult in my life. I've known Leo for years now. He is the family I wish I had. "I'll consider, old man."

"You little rascal." He ruffled my hair and pulled me in a side hug.

Sam had just finished tidying up his section and changed out of his uniform. "Come on dude, we're already late and the party's in full swing."