07. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 𝔅𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔥𝔡𝔞𝔶

Time is a curious thing. It stumbles and drags when you are wishing the days away. It flies in flash when you want to savour every last second. For me, it often stood still as though every piece of my world is hung up by invisible strings suspended and unmoving. Since coming to this town, I've been balancing between the highs of wanting to build and enjoy a new form of life, and the lows of wanting it all to come to an end.

I suppose even now I am still lost somewhere between those contradicting desires. It's been a few days since my feud with my best friend -if it could even be called that- and she was refusing to talk, which I couldn't necessarily blame her for. But it still stung to not be able to talk to the one person who'd been so close to me for many years. It's strange to feel like I have no one to turn to again. It takes me back in time to when I'd just moved here, or to three years ago.

"No coffee for me today?" Dominic scooted over so I could take my customary bus seat beside him. I sighed in frustration at myself for forgetting to get him a drink.

"Hey, I'm joking. What's with that look?" He nudged my arm, probably noting the frustration on my face. I whispered an apology and fished out my phone as it pinged.

Be at dinner tonight. 8pm sharp.

-Evil Sister

I rolled my eyes and put the phone away. So much for wanting to have a peaceful day for once. Dom had about three giant paper bags sitting in front of our feet. I turned a questioning gaze at him. He didn't look one bit embarassed as he dove into an extensive explanation about all the items he managed to get at the store for Primrose's birthday from balloons, decorative banners, to candles and paper plates. We agreed that he would be in charge of the planning while I take care of the baking. That was about the only thing I knew to do right, and Dominic was a star at all things organisation and leadership, so between the two of us it worked out just fine.

"You seem more excited about this than Prim would probably be." I commented, amused by his child-like joy.

"It's a big deal to turn seventeen, okay?" He said seriously then trailed off for a bit, his cheeks gaining some color. "It was the first birthday I ever fully celebrated. My mom went all out when she could finally afford to throw me a birthday party. I just thought Prim would like it, since she's locked up in that place four days a week-"

"You're too good for this world." I thought out loud, then shook my head and plastered on a smile. "I'm sure Prim will love it, yeah?"

He mumbled an 'I hope so', still flushed, and turned his head to watch the trees whizz by outside the window.

It wasn't everyday that Dominic Hughes opened up about his personal life or upbringing. Knowing him for two years and counting, I've only had bits and pieces about his childhood and family struggles. Only enough to know that his dad was out of the picture. His mother is a hardworking, loving woman who had provided for him his entire life. Dominic turned out to be one of the greatest guys that I ever met. One can't really question his motives and heart. I often wonder if he ever feels a lot of the ugly and vile things us mere mortals feel. I shook my head of the silly thought. He probably did, but he's too private and nice to divulge much about it.

Prim's birthday rolled around with the end of the summer season, and we agreed to make sure she has a good time. The clinic was buzzing with motion. It seems busier than usual as I saw many faces I don't recognize, possibly because I never work here pn this particular day, or that they're not stay-in patients. Eitherway, the dull pale-pink hallways were packed and a certain hesistantly-jolly atmosphere envelopped the place. Dom dragged me to the back gardens far from the dorms where Prim is staying so we can arrange the little picnic birthday. The sun was high up in the centre of the sky, but a chilly breeze was blowing gently through the leaves and bushes. The weather couldn't be more perfect if one planned it, which, speaking of, I gave Dom a suspicious glance. This guy was too good at these things. Had I planned it, an unforcasted storm would have likely struck out of spite.