chapter twenty-one

THERE'S THAT MOMENT in everyone's life when they find their something. It's not always noticeable, sometimes it just becomes second nature without ever acknowledging it. It's not every day when you get to watch people find theirs, but I've been fortune enough to see it happen twice.

I was there the first time Greyson was handed a guitar, and it was like he knew how to play without ever being taught. The music just bleeding through his veins, and all I could do was sit in awe and watch him.

He was meant to be a musician.

The second time happened today. It was such a subtle shift that I don't think Vanessa even realized it happen, but I watched the spark light within her when Kayla's attention moved from my marketing research to her creative. It was like she came alive, her passion for the body of work clear as day, and just like with Greyson, all I could do is sit and watch her in awe.

She was made to do this. It's not just the art, which she's clearly talented in, but it's the story. The way it animates her features as the story flows out in front of her. I knew as soon as the meeting ended that she is never going to want to do anything else. This is it, and it's the same feeling I found in high school when I spent my summers working with Emery.

I found my passion and I haven't been able to sit still since.

It's all I want to do. All I want to talk about. I love it, all of it, even the tedious tasks that get repetitive and should bore me. They never do. They only ever bring more life into me.

"You were right," Kayla says a few hours later when she stops in my office, long after Vanessa headed back to campus. "I don't know why I ever doubt you. She's incredible," she tells me, sinking into the seat across from my desk. "She's going to be a great addition to the team."

A knowing smile plays on my lips, but I don't say I told you so. "You think?"

"Don't look at me like that." She points at me with her fingers. "You were right, I admit it. You can wipe the smug look off your face."

"There's no smug look!"

She hums unconvinced as she leans back in her seat. "We're not going to be able to do the graphic novel right away, but I think we can start talking about it more seriously when Vanessa comes to intern with us this summer."

"It's definitely going to be a big project."

"But worth it," she says, a smile creeping on to her lips. "You're good at this."

"So, I've been told," I tease as my phone buzzes on my desk. I flip it over to find Rhett's name on the screen, my lips curling up at the thought of him.

"Is it Rhett?" Kayla asks.

I nod in response as my eyes dart across the screen.

Rhett
Hey. Think you can come by the station?

Emmy
Sure. Everything okay?

Rhett
Everything's fine. Just want to see you.

"Emmy," Kayla's voice pulls me out of my Rhett induced bubble. "What did he say?"

"Nothing," I say and tuck my phone into the front pocket of my purse, but I can't help the giddy feeling in my stomach. God, help me. I'm so utterly screwed.

She hums. "Want to try that again?"

"He wants to see me," I tell her and stand, grabbing the coat off the back of my chair.

"Is he off?"

"No, but I'm going to go by the station."

A mischievous grin crosses her face at the mention of the fire station. "Please tell me you're going to have hot sex in his quarters at the fire station."