chapter thirteen

"LIEUTENANT," I WHISPER into my pillow when I feel his hands on my waist, slowly working under the hem of the shirt I slept in. His hands are rough in comparison to my soft olive skin, but surprisingly gentle as they trail up my sides. "What are you doing?"

"You didn't wake me up."

I squeeze my eyes shut, biting my bottom lip. His lips press into the curve of my spine and slowly start to follow his hands. My chest tightens in anticipation when his hands move to the underside, stretching across my ribcage as he continues making his way up my back. "I tried," I mutter, holding my breath as he rolls me over and we come face to face. "You wouldn't budge."

"Try harder," he whispers, pressing his lips to my jaw and then my neck as his hands cup my breasts. "I'll have to make up for lost time now."

The corner of my lip lifts at his words. "Don't threaten me with a good time."

A smile stretches across his face, and it shouldn't leave me with a swarm of butterflies knowing I'm the one that put it there, and yet I can't help but feel like it's just for me. I am slowly becoming accustomed to the moods of Rhett. Most of them are closed off but when he's like this, hovering over me with the anticipation of intimacy hanging over us, he lets his guard down. Not all the way, but enough that I'm able to see the real Rhett.

The one reserved for the people that let him get this close.

"I hav–"

He cuts me off by pressing his lips to mine, and usually I'd be disgusted by a morning kiss before brushing my teeth, but it happens so quickly that I can't help but lean into it. Even now, all I want is more of him. "I already took Poe out," he whispers against my skin before he goes back to kissing my jaw, his hands moving down my waist toward my hips.

"You took my dog out."

He hums in acknowledgement. "No more excuses," he says, shifting his weight on the mattress as he moves further down my body. "Just relax, Trouble."

I press my shoulders back while his hands continue to explore every inch of my body. It shouldn't feel this good just being touched by him, but it's like his skin against mine ignites a fire in my nerves. Every touch no matter how featherlight is like an explosion of heat.

I don't want to be this intoxicated by him, but it's inevitable. I've already fallen down that slippery slope, and I'm not sure I'd want off even if I could. I don't think anyone would ever wish to give this feeling up. I don't know how they could.

Rhett's teeth scrap against my hip as his fingers hook into my underwear, his fingers digging into my back, and I try to slow the beat of my heart. I press into the mattress and lift my hips enough for him to slide them down over my legs. He leans back on his heels, untangling the flimsy fabric from my ankles, and from this angle I'm able to get a better look at him. I don't know what time it is, I'm not sure I even want to know because the sun is only starting to make its way in through my window which means it's early. Way too early for me to be awake, but in this moment, I do not care. He looks way to good, and I'm needy for any sort of release he's willing to give.

"Rhett..." I meet his eyes as the beg of his name falls from my lips, eager to have his body heat back. His hands move down my thighs and up over my hips as he leans forward, finding my lips again. His hands sliding up my sides and my fingers move to his hair, losing myself in the way he feels on my skin. If I could sink into him and never leave, I would.

A whimper falls from my lips at the pressure building between my legs, desperate for his touch. His lips move to the hallow of my throat, his thumb grazes over my nipple, pinching it between his thumb and index to earn another small moan from me. I'm desperate for him, more desperate than I've ever felt for another person. I need him closer and for the first time in my life, I wouldn't be ashamed to beg for it, for him and only the satisfaction I know I can get from him. I'm a hollowed out version of who I thought I was, but I'm not her. These last two days have introduced a whole new side of myself to me.