prologue

Rewritten on December 11th, 2017

**************************************************

Who am i? I'm Marigold Palmer, but you can call me Mari.

I grew up right outside of Atlanta with my sister, Bluebell and my father, John.

Everything happened so fast. The sickness, the apocolypse, losing the things I cared about.

It had been a normal day, Blue and I watching TV in the basement. I wanted to go out and practice archery, something my mother had been good at, but dad said it wasn't safe.

Blue ran upstairs when she heard our father scream, after locking me in the basement closet. She told me not to move, and like always I listened to my sister.

She returned a few minutes later, dragging me out of the closet with her blood stained hands. I kept quiet, doing as she told me. She loaded up a bag with essentials: water, food, medicine, etc. She loaded some of our father's hunting gear, handing me my bow and arrow, before bringing me up stairs.

"You keep you eyes on the door and go to the car."

I should've listened.

Our father, a very sickly looking version of our father, laid on the floor, one of his favorite hunting knives sticking out of his head. I looked back at Blue as she washed the blood off her hands, our father's blood. I then listened, and silently got in the car.

Blue explained everything. The sickness, how dad wasn't dad anymore. She had turned on the news, seen the destruction. She said it wasn't safe, and that we needed to get away.

It's been years since that day, and I've lost a lot of things since then. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Why don't we start at the beginning?