22 This is a Date

On Friday, I approached Aleksandr after class. He wasn't in uniform like this morning. Instead, he wore a traditional black turtleneck shirt, which was longer and flowy in a way that indicated to me it was Clan Hela clothing. Around his neck he had a gaudy necklace with feathers, engraved beads, and even knuckle bones adorning it. His eyes were darkened with kohl. Tomorrow was Halloween, and the Three Days of Samhain would begin then.

Everyone was busy preparing for the Mystic Falls faire tonight, dressing up and getting ready to play Human for a few hours, play games and ride the Ferris wheel that had been set up in the center of town. I wasn't planning to go, but it looked like Aleksandr was based on his amped up appearance.

In truth, he would look this way under any festival circumstances. And if he went to the Clan Hela Academy in New York or any other Academy around the world, he would be expected to wear kohl and this clothing every day. In Mystic Falls, every human would think he was dressed up as a voodoo priest or a shaman, but people like me would know that wasn't the case.

He was sitting outside on a bench, probably waiting for his sister, when I approached. The warlock looked up, surprised that I was coming up to him since I haven't spoken with him since Wednesday.

"No costume?" He asked, trying to make small talk. I looked down at my uniform. I wore a black pair of jeans, boots, and a black sweater with a burgundy embroidered S across the breast. I also wore the ship necklace that the Ravenson's had given me.

"What are you talking about? I'm a vampire." I replied, with a little bit of humor in my tone as I exposed my very-werewolf fangs. Aleksandr reciprocated with a little smile. "About the other day-"

"It's okay. I should've told you sooner. You had every reason to be mad." The warlock quickly interjects. "I understand if you don't want to be friends. I promise I won't tell anyone... either way." I link my hands together behind my back and gathered the words in my mind before speaking aloud.

"I know of a way you can repay me." I began. Aleksandr leaned forward and nodded. "There's a soul binding ritual. It's called the Ritual of the Eclipse of the Four Suns. Have you heard of it?" He shook his head no. "I wouldn't think so. It's a very old binding ritual and it takes a ridiculous amount of energy to perform. But, it can save my sister."

"So... you did found something in the Library in Norway to save her." He nodded quickly. "I'll help you. With anything. Just tell me what you want me to do." I felt a little nervous to be telling him any of this, but time was marching closer to the eclipse and I needed to have everything by then.

"A quarter year. Do you know what that means?" I inquired. Aleksandr thinks about it a moment.

"Yeah. It's a little confusing because it's called quarter year instead of quarter month. Essentially it refers to a certain day of the year. There's four quarter year days. There was one in September, and the next one is New Years." He explains. "Let me guess, something has to be collected on a quarter year?"

"Yeah. Black sand."

Aleksandr nodded like that made a lot of sense to him. "The days are said to be magically blessed, so that any magical practice on those days, even something as small as collecting sand, has seven times the energy it would on any other day. Black sand is a protective material. Gathering it on a quarter year will amplify that protective magic."

"During the ritual the sand is meant to prevent spirits from interfering the process." I explain, and tap my fingers on the back of my hand behind my back as I think. "The black sand is to be collected on a full moon of a quarter year." I recite from memory. Aleksandr looked up at me from where he sat.