A run-in with the cops

Putting Seek's hood up, (Y/n) smiled patiently. Even if their chest ached in disappointment and fear of disappointing the others, they knew it was inevitable they informed them of the bad news. So what if the entities lost all faith in the only human they had ever dared to put their misplaced hope into, stacking their aspirations and dreams into someone as dumb as the dozens of doorknobs they had in the place.

How am I meant to make a million to buy it?

Opening the front door of their home, (Y/n) was met with the whiff of a delicious, home cooked meal.

(M/n) poked her head out of the kitchen doorway, her face decorated by the excitement she held. Calling out to her child, she beckoned them to sit at the table and wait. Seek, having nothing better to do, followed closely.

Fiddling with its hands, it waited for the awkward tension to go. (Y/n)'s silence didn't help whatsoever and made it worse, if anything.

Moments later, (M/n) came into the room, holding a large tray of food. Cottage pie.

Serving it up, (M/n) was as kind as to give Seek a serving. Speechless, the entity stared the food down, confused. It couldn't remember the last time it physically ate something.

Digging in, (Y/n) grabbed a fork and enjoyed the homely meal. Halfway done, (Y/n) saw Seek wasn't eating and remembered it didn't have a mouth to eat it.

I'm such an idiot.

To their surprise, it formed a mouth and tried the cottage pie, liking what it was tasting. Gob smacked, (Y/n) gawked at the sight.

Well, I guess it can eat.

Once Seek finished, it got rid of the mouth and curved its lower eyelid in satisfaction,"That was pretty good, the best I've had in a while, actually."

"You can eat?" (Y/n) squeaked, sounding utterly lost,"Do you need to eat?"

Shaking its head, Seek explained how it functioned,"Food isn't a necessity, as I don't need nourishment, but I do enjoy things from time to time."

"Okay, I understand...sort of." (Y/n) mumbled,"I'll be upstairs if you need me."

"Okay honey, I'm heading out to the shops to get some food and play the lottery." (M/n) called back.

Heading up the stairs, (Y/n) couldn't help but think about how the entity functioned; they knew so much about it, but there was so much they didn't know.

Carelessly, they grabbed their pajamas and went into the bathroom to shower. Tossing their clothes aside, they couldn't shake the thoughts. Even the warm water pattering onto their skin didn't help them to move their mind elsewhere.  They were so curious.

Deciding they were clean, (Y/n) stepped out of the shower and towel dried themself. After, they put on clothes they deemed to be pajamas - an old hoodie and some shorts.

The worry coloured their face when they realised Seek wasn't waiting for them, and the horror (Y/n) felt when (M/n) told them it had gone home...by itself.

"Mum, I've got to go find it. I don't know what could happen to it if someone comes across it. What if that police officer gets to it?" (Y/n) worried, making those fears verbal.

"(Y/n), I'm sure it'll be fine. It knows its way home, right?" (M/n) assured, sitting (Y/n) down and hugging them.

-------------------

Clambering higher, Seek came to the clearing (Y/n) had taken it to earlier. Sitting itself down, it calmed its nerves. The thought of (Y/n) made it smile, at least with its eye. To Seek, (Y/n) was their best friend, and it didn't want them to see it sad.

Pulling its knees to its chest, it curled up and set its head atop its knees. Closing its eye, it let itself think for a moment, think about all the good (Y/n) brought and how close they were to freedom.

Yet, there was an uncertainty (Y/n) possessed. As if it didn't completely trust them, and what they said they were doing or, if they were unsure of the outcome.

Another thought, what did Figure see when it entered the office and when it stopped dead in room zero? What did it see, what did it feel?

And, if it were telling the truth about not killing the owner, how could Seek make it up to it? Admittedly, it hadn't been the nicest to Figure but it hadn't been the worst either.

Reflecting on its actions, it feared it had only pushed Figure away in a time where they needed to unite; the hotel was going to be in their hands and they needed to work together to get on track.

While Seek was pensive, a form emerged from the bushes behind. Seek felt a hand on its back, and fingers wrapping around its neck.

"You're going to do as I say, or else I'll kill you here and now!" The angered voice ordered.

Putting its hands up, Seek surrendered,"What is it you want?"

"I demand you come with me, monster!" He hissed, tightening the grip on Seek's neck.

"I would say congratulations for doing your job right for once, but you can't suffocate me even if you tried." Seek snickered, grabbing his wrist and shoving it off.

The officer, the same one as before, fell to the ground and distanced himself from Seek. Withdrawing a gun from his pocket, he aimed for Seek's chest,"I will shoot you again!"

"And do what, waste your bullet?" Seek mocked,"I don't die to bullet wounds, and its clear you're so dense you need me to state it. "

His visage shifted from anger to reflective,"My grandfather protected this town from you monsters, and I took it up as my duty to honour him. What your friend found, that body, had been killed by my grandfather. He'd hung him up to make it look like he'd killed himself to try and get you to as well."

Faltering, Seek didn't know what to say. Its body quivered with an red-hot anger and undying hatred,"How dare you take his life!"

Pouncing on the officer, Seek choked him," How dare you take that innocent man's life! He worked so hard to build that hotel up from the ground, and get your kind to treat us like actual people and you find it honourable to murder him? You're disgusting!"

Letting go, Seek threw the man into the dirt, allowing him time to breathe. Gagging, the officer choked out,"Because...monsters like you...deserve nothing.."

"We only killed the people who entered because we lived in fear they were coming to kill us first. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but we can defend ourselves if we need to." Seek hissed.

Picking himself up, the officer readjusted himself and left without saying anything.

Seek, infuriated, sat down on the edge of the clearing to clear its head.