The five continued their trek and something soon caught Jill's eye.

"A castle!" Jill exclaimed. "It must be Harfang. At last."

"Oh yes," Puddleglum said.

"Wouldn't be too sure," Eustace muttered. "It's mid-day. They'll be closing the city gates soon. We've got to get there first."

"Then hurry!" Jill told him.

Marina's eyes narrowed and she whispered, "Aslan keep us safe. Caspian, my love, I'll bring our daughter and Evreux's son home."

Their pace quickened slightly as they headed towards the castle. It began snowing and Marina frowned, not liking the sudden chill in the weather.

As he climbed up a boulder, Eustace said, "It's so cold."

"Come on, Puddleglum," Jill stated. "Nearly there. Come on, Marina."

Once he'd reached the top, Eustace yelled, "Not so far now!"

Jill tripped and fell down a hole with a scream. Marina tried to catch her, but nearly fell and Puddleglum caught her.

"Are you hurt?" Eustace asked. "Pole?"

"Perfect? Broken I shouldn't wonder," Puddleglum said.

"I'm perfectly all right thank you," Jill retorted as she looked up at them, "but you'll have to help me out." She began standing.

Evreux studied the hole. "You're lucky you didn't fall in."

Eustace said after a moment, "Wait a sec. It's not just a hole. It's too regular."

Jill, who had gotten to her feet, said, "It's some kind of trench or lane."

"And running due north. If it's a road, we'll be out of the wind."

Jill glanced up. "At least I'm out of the wind."

"What happens further on?"

"I'll have a look." She began walking away.

"You be careful, Pole," Puddleglum told her.

"Jill, be careful," Marina said.

"It might lead to a dragon's den." Jill glanced back. "And remember; it's Giant Country. It'll be full of giant worms or beetles I'll be bound." Jill grimaced and turned.

"Where does that go to?" Eustace wondered.

"Nowhere much."

"What do you mean nowhere much?" His voice dropped. "She's in a dead zone. I'll have a look." He began climbing down.

"Steady, boy," Puddleglum stated.

Eustace reached the bottom and joined Jill while Puddleglum, Marina and Evreux remained at the top.

Clara glanced at Puddleglum. "I don't like this one bit."

Puddleglum nodded. "Nor do I, Your Majesty."

Eustace and Jill walked along the road whilst wrapping their arms around themselves.

"Another one," Eustace said as he and Jill came upon something. They reached a dead end. "Nothing!"

Jill turned and began walking a different way.

"We have to hurry or we'll never get to Harfang," Eustace said.

"But what a weird place," Jill commented. "Why build trenches that lead to nowhere?"

"I have no idea. Come on, we're late already!"

Eustace took the lead and led them back to Puddleglum, Marina and Evreux, the former of whom said, "Heave ho!"

Puddleglum offered his walking stick to Eustace who grabbed it. The Marshwiggle pulled the boy up as he said, "Heave!" Eustace reached the top. "Heave ho!" He pulled Jill up. "Are you still sure of those signs, Pole?"

"I followed the signs!" Jill retorted with a growl.

"What signs are we supposed to be after now?" Evreux and Puddleglum questioned.

"Oh, something about someone saying Aslan's name. I'm too cold to give a recitation here."

"That's not the next one," Eustace told her. "Didn't Aslan's name come later?"

"Got the signs mixed up I shouldn't wonder," Puddleglum said. "Haven't you noticed how regular some of these shapes are? Something in the signs I shouldn't wonder."

"Maybe you say that it means something gooey, so please stop," Jill told him.

"Is this the time for a stop to admire the view?" Eustace shot back. "For goodness sake, let's get a move on!"

"It's getting dark," Puddleglum warned. "I think we should think of making camp here."

Marina nodded. "Yes, it's better to be somewhat safe than in greater danger. And when a pirate says such, you know she means it."

"Look! Look!" Jill exclaimed, pointing to a castle.

"Harfang!" Eustace said.

"Yes, well, it's all very well-" Puddleglum began

"Oh shut up!" Jill cried.

Puddleglum looked at her in shock and Marina's eyes narrowed.

"We haven't a moment to lose," Eustace said

"Don't you remember what the lady said about them locking up so early?" Jill reminded them. "We must get there in time. We must! We must! We will die if we shut up and wait for the light."

"Well it's not exactly-" Puddleglum and Evreux were cut off.

"Oh come on!" Jill and Eustace yelled.

"Enough!" Marina cried. "This arguing is not helping. Jill, Eustace, you had best show me, Evreux and Puddleglum respect. I am aware it's cold for you both, but we have no idea what these Giants are like. So it would be wise to proceed with caution rather than letting comforting, possibly dangerous, thoughts invade our heads. Is that understood?"

Eustace and Jill nodded.

Marina continued. "You'd both best remember that. Shall we?"

They resumed walking and Puddleglum said quietly, "Not yet it isn't."

"Hurry," Eustace told them. "Hurry, Puddleglum. Hurry, Evreux. Hurry, Marina."

"Steady. Steady. Leave this to me." He walked closer to the door while Eustace, Evreux, Marina and Jill stood back. "Whatever you do, don't look frightened. You've done the silliest thing in the world, coming here."

"Not to mention dangerous," Clara added.

Puddleglum nodded. "But now that we are here, we must put a bold face on it." He continued walking towards the front door.

"That much for the maybe wet blanket," Eustace muttered, earning a frown from Marina and a look from Evreux. "He certainly has plenty of Clark handshake." He, Jill, Evreux and Marina followed Puddleglum.

"Oh there, Walker!" Puddleglum called. "Yes. Seeking lodgings for the night." He knocked on the door as the other four joined him. He then said in a low tone, "Don't look frightened."

The door opened. A Giant looked around and smiled as soon as he saw the five travellers.