07

As the four walked closer, Puddleglum said softly, "Haven't got much to offer you. You're like cold and hard. Damp too, I shouldn't wonder." As the four walked toward him, Puddleglum walked backwards with a lamp hanging above. "Don't sleep a wink most likely, even if there isn't a thunderstorm or a flood or the wigwam doesn't fall down on top of us all." The four entered the wigwam. "We just have to make the best of it." He walked away.

Evreux shook his head and sighed. "Puddleglum, always the dramatic one. He's a good fellow, though he keeps to himself."

Eustace glanced at Marina and Evreux. "We'll find Rilian and Elissa. Don't worry."

The next day, birds chirped.

Jill awoke with a yawn and shook her friend. "Scrubb." She glanced around the wigwam.

Eustace lifted his head slightly as he commented, "Funny place."

"At least it's dry and warm."

"It's a wigwam. Like what Indians live in." He got out of bed.

Marina tilted her head. "What are Indians?"

"They're like us, but they have darker skin, dark hair and dark eyes."

"Ah, like l Caspian."

"Not quite, but kind of." He looked at the sky a moment, then back to Jill. "Who was he anyway? That chap last night."

Jill began getting up as she said, "I didn't much like his hand. They're like frogs." She slipped on a coat. I felt awful after sleeping in my clothes."

Eustace glanced back at Jill again. "I was just thinking how nice it was not to have to get dressed."

"Or wash, I suppose." She finished putting on her coat and let out a huff.

Marina smirked lightly as she combed her hair with her fingers. "Ah, it's not so bad. A rocking ship in a storm is much, much worse."

They stepped out of the wigwam and looked around.

"Listen to the birds," Jill said. "I wonder where the thingamies got to."

"The Marsh-wiggle?" Eustace and Evreux replied.

"Hello," Eustace stated quietly as he pointed. "That must be him over there."

Puddleglum looked like he was fishing.

"I suppose we better go and speak to him," Jill said as Eustace and Evreux began walking over, followed by Jill and Marina.

"Good morning, guests," Puddleglum greeted. "I say good, but it'll probably turn to rain." Eustace and Evreux put a hand out in front of both Marina and Jill. "Or maybe snow; or fog. Or thunder. I daresay you didn't get any sleep."

"But we did," Jill said. "We had a very restful night."

"Ah, I see, you're trying to make the best of a bad job."

Eustace crossed his arms. "We had a very restful night." He put his hands on his hips. "Excuse me, but we didn't quite catch your name."

Evreux glanced at the boy. "I did mention it last night."

Marina shuddered, thinking of her nightmares which had been plagued with memories of the serpent, as was lately common, and the nightmares that followed. Some nights she was nearly inconsolable. Luckily Evreux was always there for her.

"That doesn't mean we remember."

As he stood, Puddleglum said, "My name is Puddleglum." Eustace gestured toward him with a confused expression. "You're sure to forget it. I was just trying to catch a few eels to make an eel stew, though I suppose I won't get any and you wouldn't like it if I do."

Now We Are Freeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें