eleven - goodbyes

Start from the beginning

"He made me promise! This is what he wanted, Margaret. He made me promise. He reminded me regularly about it, and I'm sorry you don't agree with it but it isn't your choice! He weighed up the chances!" She snaps, shaking her head. She storms off towards the car.

Jackson watches for a moment before glancing at MJ who glares at the dirt. "I know how it feels." He begins.

"I don't think it's the time, man." Bentley shakes his head.

"It is. Trust me." Jackson glances at him. "My mentor, Mark. He was an incredible man, an inspiration to me. He's the reason I am who I am... he was in a bad accident many years ago. When he briefly gained consciousness he experienced what we call the surge - that's where a patient gets a burst of energy before they decline. In that time, he signed papers that said essentially what Mae's do and Tyler's did. He didn't want to be on a vent either. He- he didn't tell anyone close to him. He knew they wouldn't understand, they'd fight. It was the last decision he could choose to make for himself. I wonder, in some way this was their last choice." He says gently, backing up a few steps before he turns and walks away. He finds Mae at the car, knelt by it taking deep breaths.

She looks at him as he squats down beside her. "I-Im okay."

"I know." He smiles gently. "I just wanted a closer look at the gravel." He winks.

Mae giggles, hiccuping. She takes a deep breath and exhales slowly. "Can we get out of here? I-I can't face the wake."

"No sweat." He nods. "Shall we book an earlier flight home?"

"Could we... drive?" She wonders.

Jacksons eyebrows shoot up. "Nevada to Seattle is like 18 hours. You want to drive 18 solid hours?"

Mae smiles a little. "Maybe not solid but we could split it? Gives us time to talk... maybe do a couple of datey things?" She says slowly.

Jackson smiles. "Oh that's where we're heading? I thought we absolutely hated each other."

She shoves him playfully. "I despise you, don't worry."

He smiles and pulls her to stand with him. "If you want to drive we will drive." He promises. "But we need a more comfortable rental."

"Deal."

-

"You're driving?" Teddy asks shocked.

Mae smiles a little as she holds the phone to her ear, looking at the chip shelf. "Yeah, we're almost half way. Left at like 6 am." She says, popping a few bags in her basket. "We had the talk, Teddy."

"The talk!?" She gasps.

"Yep."

"And!?"

"And... I think we're going to make a go of things. At least for now. Just to see what happens. But we both agree that if it goes wrong then there is no hard feelings and we will be friends the way we were." Mae glances out to see Jackson still at the pump. "I feel like a teenager girl - I just want to scream it to the world." She admits.

"That's totally understandable. We never get to show these emotions as vets, we get told to toughen up." She says gently. "I'm so glad you guys have decided to at least try. I've known Jackson long enough to know this is good for him."

"I hope so. I'll call you when I'm home, okay?" She says, quickly hanging up as Jackson comes over.

He places a few Red Bulls in the basket. "Secret conversations already?" He smirks.

"Absolutely, plotting your demise already." She smiles. "Those are bad for you, yknow."

"So are the 4 Monsters you got there, sweetie." He winks. "Imma grab some slim Jim's then we're good to go."