Ch. 20: Do You Remember?

Start from the beginning

Aemond had marched right into Aegon's quarters after Alaesys had been taken to the Maester. He had a whore or two in the spare bed but Aemond couldn't quite remember due to his rage. He had pulled his brother out of the sheets by the scruff of his neck.

Alicent had followed Aemond and begged him not to act so harshly. This was one of the only times that Aemond had ignored his mothers wishes. Aegon dangled in the air like a free range chicken, clucking and struggling against the grip his brother had around his neck.

"Why did you send that boy into Alaesys room?" Aegon choked and Aemond loosens his grip just enough to give him room to speak.

"W-what boy?!" Aemond's fingers dug tighter into Aegon's windpipe and his eyes were terrified. Alicent pulled on Aemond's arm, begging him to stop. Aemond dropped Aegon onto the ground and leered down at him. He pressed the tip of his boot onto Aegon's clavicle, almost begging him to say something.

"Henri, your squire." Aemond put more pressure on his brothers chest, and leaned over the battered man.

"Squire? When have you ever seen me ride a fucking horse?" Aemond shoved his foot down before taking a step back. Alicent dropped to her knees beside her eldest sun and took him into her arms. Alicent was fuming as she tried to resume Aegon's breathing, rubbing her hand up and down his bruised chest.

"You will not act like an animal in this room! Alaesys is to be your wife but your blood comes first." Alicent gritted her teeth and pointed to the door, signaling Aemon to go on his way.

Now he sat beside the wounded woman that he had grown up with.

Alaesys chewed on her nails and bounced her leg under the blanket. She was occupied and distracted all at the same time. Aemond gently took her hand from her mouth and looked at her nails that were chewed to bottom, blood starting to spill from them.

"My mother has this habit. There is nothing to be nervous about, I will find whoever did this and they will pay. I swear to you." Aemond kissed her bleeding fingers. Alaesys bashfully smiled and looked down at her lap again.

"I know what will make you feel better." Aemond stood from the bed and grabbed a chair the Maester had crafted with large wheels on the sides. He pulled the blankets down off of Alaesys and tucked a hand behind her back and one under her legs. "Easy now." Alaesys bit her tongue to stop herself from crying out as Aemond sat her in the chair.

"He tried to rip me open." Alaesys head reeled from the pain but she was situated as comfortable as she could be. Aemond wheeled her from the room and even passed Daemon and the Maester on the way. Daemon stepped in front of the pair and sighed.

"Where do you two think you are going? Alaesys you need to rest." Daemon was talking to his daughter but his eyes never left Aemond. Alaesys gave the older man the most pitiful eyes she could muster.

"I promise to, after. I need some fresh air and to get away from here." Daemon did not want to believe her lie at first but sighed and held his head.

"Fine. But then you must stay in bed. The King wishes to speak to you after as well." Alaesys nodded and looked back up to Aemond. She pointed towards the hall and bellowed out.

"To the garden, my fearless dragon!" Aemond chuckled and shook his head, passing Daemon and the Maester who continued to try and get Alaesys back into her chambers. The walk from her quarters to outside was rather short, luckily it was on a lower floor so they did not have to worry about scaling any stairs. It was then Alaesys knew where they were heading.

It was the open landscape not too far from the castle. It was rather flat and Alaesys could see the scattered animal bones and carcasses that had been picked clean. It was once used as farming land but nothing had grown there for many moons.

Then Alaesys saw what was awaiting her. She gripped the armrests of the chair and looked back at Aemond who was smiling ear to ear.

It was the monstrous Vhagar who lifted her head to the sky, a bit upset that she had been awoken so early. Her mouth was covered in the remains of her breakfast and she gave a groan that shook the ground. She stretched her leathered wings out and only gave the pair a sniff of acknowledgement. It wasn't until she recognized Alaesys that she dropped her head low enough for Alaesys to touch.

"Kessa, Vhagar." Alaesys greeted the beast. Vhagar sniffed at Alaesys stomach and growled low in her chest. The ground dusted up around her feet as she shifted. "Nyke emagon missed ao."

"She has missed you too. When we ride together, it feels like a sort of us is missing." Aemond kneeled beside of Alaesys and looked up at his dragon. Vhagar almost seemed to purr when Alaesys scratched a certain spot on her nose.
"Going to make Cesyja jealous I see?"

"Cesyja is persuaded with some lambchops." Alaesys giggled and patted Vhagar snout. Aemond put his hand on Alaesys as she patted the beast and entangled their fingers again. His rings over took her smaller fingers as he engulfed them in his palm.

"Alaesys, Iksos naejot sagon issa ābrazȳrys." Vhagar seemed to understand his words and looked down on the two humans. She seemed to even nod in agreement with what her rider had spoken.

Alaesys is to be my wife.