Chapter 8: Anne of Green Gables

Magsimula sa umpisa

“Coming!” He watches Sam shut the door and runs to deposit the duffel in the trunk before hopping behind the wheels. Before shifting the brakes, he steals a glance at Sam who is checking on the kids.

Eric never fancied himself as a prince. Younger Eric wanted to be a pirate, one who would set out to sail across the seven seas and conquer the world. He has long been resigned to the fact that life is not a fairytale and there may not be any happily ever after at the end of each trail. And yet, he no longer has to seek, he no longer has to sail. All the treasures in the world are right in front of him, all his childhood dreams materialized better than his 10-year-old self could have ever imagined. What more could he ask?

“Daddy, can I have a bite of your ice cream?” Charlie asks as he watches Eric have another spoonful of his ginumis.

He winces. “Charlie, this is not exactly an ice cream but,” he spoons a small portion and beckons it to the little boy, “here, have a taste.” Eric watches as Charlie takes in the new set of flavours bursting in his tongue. At first, a little confused, and then not so long after, Charles looked pleased.

“I like it!” the little boy declares before returning his attention to his own ice cream.

“How does it taste like, Charlie?” Sam asks as she watches their curious little boy intently.

The boy, however, looks at her like she’d just asked the hardest question in the whole wide world. “I don’t know, mommy,” he says and shrugs before turning to Eric. “Daddy, why don’t you let mommy have a taste too?”

The question is innocent and yet, even Clara’s spoon froze midway to her mouth as she looked at their parents expectantly. It’s silly that Eric is surprised by such a request. It’s not like he’s balking at it, really, he finds it sweet. And maybe a little part of him, one that will not loudly voice his sentiment out, is pleased because it means steering the ship he and Sam are manning towards a more intimate direction. However, he does not want to overstep and ruin what little fragment of relations they have by making her uncomfortable. But before he could reason, he hears Sam.

“Yes nga, Daddy. Can mommy have a bite too?”

He stares at Sam for a second but Clara cheers them on and so, not that he’s exactly left without a choice, he prepares a spoonful for Sam too, which she takes with finesse and grace, as she does with everything else.

His eyes are glued to her, and he finds himself unable to tear them away from her and from the smirk she’s wearing.

“That was good, dad,” Sam tells him and sends a wink in his direction… and if truth be told, he was chased out of reactions.

Samantha, you will be the death of me, so he thinks.

“Mommy, will you stay with us?” Clara asks as Samantha ushers her into the elevator leading directly to Eric’s (their) unit.

Sam hums happily. “Yes, love. Why?” The way that Clara’s face lights up tugs at her heart. 

“I like that,” the little girl whispers and beckons for Sam to bend a little. Standing on tippy toes and covering her mouth, she whispers against Sam’s ear, “I really really like that.”

Just then, Eric enters with Charlie in tow. “What are you two whispering about?” he teases while Charles takes it upon himself to press (read: play with) the button(s).

“Nothing!” Clara dismisses and giggles.

Eric’s eyes rise to meet Sam’s, and he looks at her expectantly, but she merely shakes her head. “It’s a secret between the girls,” she tells him, a sentiment which Clara gladly and honestly, gloatingly, echoes.