"Everything else you need to know about me will be in the slides here. I won't be using the LCD throughout the course. I will be mostly writing on the board. You will have your lectures as PowerPoint slides on Moodle. So no need to take notes. I would simply like you to focus. Anyway, as I was saying." he clears his throat again. "Today exceptionally, because it is an introductory lesson, I will be presenting the slides here." he points to the board.

The professor starts introducing us to the course. Almost everyone is focused. I watch the back of the students' heads and sometimes their sides. Every now and then, one of them looks at their phone, at their watch, whispers something to the person next to them and the other smiles back.

Even going through only this makes me feel like I travelled to another world, another time. A place that is in no way connected to mine. Like there is no return to where I was from here.

A girl comes in late and snaps me out of my thoughts. The professor does not even look at her. She comes in casually, takes a seat, sips from her coffee before she opens her bag to take out a notebook. Only a notebook. No pen. She looks like she put it on simply for the show. "I am interested." she is trying to say.

At 8:50am, the professor notices the time and stops the lecture.

"Okay guys. I will turn this off now, we'll start next week with the heavy stuff. Please do try not to be late to class, it will be hard for you to catch up."

I notice the girl smiling.

"Thank you."

"Thank you, Professor."

"Bye, Doctor."

Almost everyone in the class says something like that. I watch them pack and leave.

People resemble each other much more than they do back home. You can see that they have similar looks.  Most of the people around me are either blondies or light brown skinned with dark hair. The clothing styles, not so much alike. In fact, maybe even less alike than back home. There is a woman who is wearing a black long skirt and black long sleeve shirt, with a white veil that covers her head and a good part of her face. Almost all her face, except for the eyes and her left cheek. A couple of other girls have a more famous veil on. A veil I have seen before. Not much, but I have. The rest of the girls look extremely casual. Many of them in shorts and comfortable sports leggings. Others dressed up as though for an event, with quite classy tops and pants. The boys, they look much less diverse. Except for the eyes and hair colours, they pretty much all look the same.

I get out of the class and out of the building. Most people passing me by, as well as those that were in my class, look pretty good. Most have nice clothes on. Nothing too funky. No slippers or scandals. No untraditional or strange clothing styles.

I try to find a cafeteria to have breakfast. I have a two hours break and am not sure what else to do in the meantime.

I stop a guy passing me by.

"Hello."

He nods and smiles.

"Do you mind telling me where the nearest cafeteria is?"

"Oh, sure. It is in this building actually." he points at IOEC, the building I just came out of.

"There is another one right down there." he points at some stairs. "Right next to the sea. You'd love the view."

I'm sure I would.

"Thank you so much." I tell him.

I go down the stairs and find the cafeteria he told me about. The view. The air. The whole atmosphere. I think I will love it here.

———
Author's note:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for starting to read this story. Please let me know what you thought of the prologue.

Due to the fact that there are places I will be mentioning that exist in reality, I will be adding in the note at the end of the page a picture or more of the places you will read about. Let me know what you think of them!

The American University of Beirut:

The IOEC Building:

The Cafeteria overlooking the sea (the OSB cafeteria):