Chapter 19. The Perfect Plan

Start from the beginning

This will take some time, Fritz. Years, I presume. . . Eljin sighed.

The perfect plan Fritz cooked up has a lot of holes that Eljin does not want to point out. 

All he wants is for him and Fritz to have the life they had back then before the curse and everything after it. And if Fritz's failure on this experiment is the answer to having their simple life back again, then Eljin will gladly have this sacrificial ritual be trashed.

He looks up and through the glass roof of the dome. The sky above is blue and clear of clouds. The sun is not yet high but the weather is getting hot. 

For a moment, he let his mind free of worries.

Eljin's glad for the trees sheltering him from the heat with its shade. The wind blows making the thin branches of the trees sway. Leaves hypnotizingly fall slowly to the ground. 

This is perfect for a nap, he thought, curling up on the dirt. 

He closed his eyes and enjoyed the soft breeze that brushed his white fur. 

Everything about the jungle reminds him of home. The trees, sky, weather. Even the rustle of leaves and the water flowing down the river. 

How he wish to come back home again—

His eyes blinked open. 

What was he thinking? Home? He can not believe himself thinking about a place that is lost forever. 

Eljin stood and shook his body, relieving the building stress and the sleepiness. 

He can't let his mind wander like this when he has a job to do. 

From the spot behind the bushes where he's hiding, he won't easily be found. The branches and leaves of the trees around him are tightly packed, making his spot the perfect place for a hide-out.

His eyes scanned the falls. 

Everything was still except the waterfalls. The splash of water sounds inviting and Eljin is tempted to take a dip but he stops himself because if not, he'll be found out.

He doesn't want to deal with the raven anymore. 

The last time they met was when it found him to say its gratitude for helping him find a place for the female Alpha to stay during her Heat Cycle. 

Well, it's not like he did that out of courtesy. It was part of the plan. 

When his tongue accidentally slipped the part about the Moon rising exactly to where the cave's mouth is facing, the raven got mad and flew off powerfully. The wind underneath its wings felt like a whip on Eljin's skin.

That bird is slow but smart. 

Anyway, where is the bird?

Looking around the falls vicinity, the bird is nowhere to be found.

Immediately, Eljin stood on alert.

Where's the white bird?

When he confirmed that he lost sight of the bird, he cursed himself.

"Damn! Where is he?" He muttered, stepping out of his hiding spot. 

He stepped on fallen twigs and dry leaves on the ground as he trudged on his way to the falls. He is still behind the bushes and in the shadows of the trees. He planned to get close to the falls without being seen. 

If he can't find the bird, he'll sniff him out. 

He can't afford to lose sight of the only clue he got. The bird's routine is the perfect update for him to know if the female's got pregnant or not.