(28) Dresses & Cake

Sometime Later...

"I feel like I'm being watched" Elizabeth was on edge although she had no reason to be. I was here to keep her safe and once she finally selected a dress, we could return home. "You most likely are. Fufufu. Do not worry darling. I am here to protect you" My comment could have easily made her upset however it must have been my lucky day since she ignored it. "The people were in shock to see you. Have you not come down here since your family left?"

"I came once in a while. It was not often although I can not remember it being as bright as it is" Being surrounded by that string cage always kept out the unwanted light and now I was regretting unwinding it. Sure, it had made Elizabeth happy but I was starting to think it would have been better to leave it in place. I could not change what I had done however it would always be a thought. "It's not bothering you, is it?" Elizabeth was the caring type and, in a way, I was fond of it. "No, but the noise is distracting"

"We won't be here long so bear through it for now. Have you heard anything about your family?" We had argued over that however I had agreed to at least attempt to find them. "I have Pica's vivre card with me. It will be the easiest way to locate them. Once you find a dress you like we can worry about that problem" In truth that card belonged to Elizabeth although what she did not know would not cause her grief. Of course, I would need to keep her in front of me to stop her from discovering the truth. That would come after and I just needed to distract her until she wanted to give up on the search.

"I wouldn't consider them a problem but whatever you say Doffy. As for my dress, I liked the second one I tried on. Can I get that one?" Thinking back, I slowly started to shake my head. That dress made her look like a whore and I would not be seeing her in such a thing unless it was in private. "I did not care for that one" At the end of the day I knew the dress selection was up to me. Elizabeth would have a small say although if I did not like it then she was not wearing it. "No, that was number three. I never showed you the second one"

"Why did you not show me?" I wanted to see this dress but as she spoke, I thought it over. "It is bad luck for the groom to see the bride in their wedding dress. That one was the one. I will not get married in any other dress" Just a moment ago I had told myself I needed to see what she was planning to wear but seeing her face changed my mind. I could not ruin her day or her smile by telling her no. "If you desire it then you may have it. Fufufu. This wedding will truly be special"

"I'll be right back. Are you paying for it?" She was still wearing one of the dresses although I knew it would not take her long to change. "No, the shop is giving it to me. You know a gift to the king if you will" They owed me that much and as Elizabeth started towards the back she stopped just before disappearing behind the curtain. "Oh, okay. I'll just tell the shopkeeper the one I want then we can leave"

"Take your time I am in no rush" She had gone to the back but I made sure to listen carefully to what was going on. I heard her rustling around so my best guess was that she was putting her clothes back on.

After a few minutes of silence, I heard the sound of footsteps followed by Elizabeth's voice. "Excuse me? I'm done shopping" I listened to what was being said and as I did, I could not help but grow curious. "Oh, what dress have you decided on?" Elizabeth did not want to tell me that information however even as she spoke with the shopkeeper her words kept that a secret. She must have realized that I could hear her. "The second one. Doffy is not allowed to know about it though. It's going to be a surprise"

"That is a lovely choice and it had fit you like a glove. I do not even have to alter it. He will love it but I am sure that man adores you regardless of what you wear. Are you taking it with you, or will you pick it up later?"