(2) A Man & His Dog

"I said what are you doing to my dog?" Again, this guy spoke and I snapped out of my trance. Although even as I spoke my eyes were locked on the cat ear headband, he was sporting. I definitely didn't see men wearing such things often so it was taking me off guard. "T-This is your dog? I-I'm sorry I'm not doing anything to him" When Bepo had taken a seat beside the man I watched as he reached down to scratch behind his ear. "Excuse me but why are there cat ears on your head?"

The question was rude I knew that much but I really was curious and needed to at least ask. However, as this man reached down, he picked up his dog before he started to walk away. I knew I was being rude but this behavior wasn't much better. "Hey, aren't you going to answer my question?" He didn't have to answer but sometimes you needed to be a little forceful to get what you wanted from someone. "I like them. Now, I'm going back to my house I suggest you do the same. Also, don't go near my dog again. Goodnight, Girl-ya"

When he said he was going home I got curious since I wasn't aware of any other houses in the area. Not that I wanted to know where he lived but I wanted to have an idea of how many other peoples lived around me. "Do you live at the Pink Palace as well? I didn't see any other houses in the area" Due to his reaction earlier I didn't expect him to answer although when he turned back to me, I noticed a different emotion in his eyes. It was almost like it was worry but I could have been wrong. "You live in the Pink Palace, Girl-ya?"

"Yeah, we just moved in" The way his eyes darted around the area made me take a step back although when he replied again, I felt my stomach drop. "Run away while you still can. That house is cursed" He clearly knew something about the house and that look of fear was unmistakable but the moment he started to flee the scene I started to chase after him. "W-What is that supposed to mean!? Hey! Come back!" Unfortunately, I had lost him. One minute he was there then suddenly without warning he was gone. I couldn't spend all night looking for him so turned back to head back to the house.

"That guy was weird"

~~~~~~~~~~

15 Minutes Later...

I had made it back to the house in one piece and as I pushed the door open my mother spoke up from the table where she was working on her book. "Elizabeth, is that you?" She would have seen me if she just looked up although her eyes never left that screen. "Yes" Again she didn't look up but gave me an order as her fingers glided across the keys. "Your things are in your room go unpack and let me know if anything is missing" I couldn't care enough to fight about it so headed off to see what I was dealing with.

"This doesn't look too bad" I didn't have much stuff to pack so as I ripped open a box, I started to organize my things. "You can go here and you over here. Great, we'll be done by supper at this rate"

~~~~~~~~~~

?'s Pov

'Bark' 'Bark' 'Bark'

I was too busy thinking about that girl I meant in the woods although Bepo's barking brought me back to the task at hand. "Yes, I know you're hungry. Eat up, Bepo-ya" With him fed I could finally take a seat and continue thinking about her. I never asked for a name although if she was living in the Pink Palace then her name didn't matter. That place wasn't even supposed to be rented to families at all even if they didn't have children the owners only rented to single people. They knew what was going on in that house but something must have changed.

She looked older than the others although that wouldn't manner. I knew he'd be hungry from all those years of not having what he wanted but at the same time, I didn't want to get involved. Nothing I did would bring her back, she was dead and it was all his fault. "Damn it!" His hands would end that girl's life without a second thought, I didn't want to get involved but what would she say if I didn't at least warn her? I was supposed to be strong. I was supposed to protect her from everything and I couldn't. I let her down all because I was weak.