Police

This chapter contains brief mentions of gender violence, implicit bias, or prejudice that could be upsetting to some people. These opinions do not reflect the author's and are merely here for means of characterization.
_

In the apex of a new day, the outside lights were stunningly bright. Skye's feeble attempt to stay in bed a little longer ended in a failure, although she had covered her head with a doubled layer of blankets. At last, the witch gives up completely, tossing her covers away with a short groan, though soon regretting the loss of such warm embrace. Not only had she slept until noon, she had also forgotten to shut her blinds before going to bed last night.

She rubs her eyes and sits up, recalling the events of the previous day, wondering what else she might have forgotten about. Her school bag wasn't in the immediate surroundings — by retracing her steps, Skye assumed it'd still be around the dining table. The short witch remembers making snacks, but not dealing with the dishes... And then the movie night. Did she really watch one of those scenes with Evan? Or was she tired to the point of going straight to bed and having a massive fever dream?

How did I not faint outta embarrassment? Skye covers her face with a pillow, suffocating a yelp and wiggling her feet, literally trying to shake off any anxiety building up. Coercing herself to regain control of her breathing, she reminds herself, now that it already happened, I shouldn't act like it's a bigger deal today than it was last night.

The witch takes her time to meditate until calmness washed over her. It didn't last long, though, as she knew they shared a bathroom and that freshening up after a good night of sleep meant inevitably facing her roommate. She ran her fingers through her matted curls, soon realizing there was no way she could spend the whole weekend locked in her room. After finding a decent, cozy lounging outfit, she gets changed, puts her glasses on, and heads towards the common area.

Her waking was announced by a thud coming from the other side. The door showed some resistance upon being pushed, although it was nothing she couldn't handle on her own.

Evan stood by the fridge, squeeze bottle in hand. A baby blue towel around his neck caught drops that fell from his hair, which looked blood red now that it was soaked. "Hey, sleepy head!" Upon being met with a rather confused glance, the werewolf explains, "You forgot your bag here, so I left it on your doorknob. My bad, didn't think it was gonna fall when you opened the door."

"I see. Thanks." Skye grabs her backpack from the floor and drops it by her bed. "Did you wake up early today?"

"Yeah! 'Went for a jog, did some cardio, freshened up." Grinning, he washed his bottle as he described his day, "Was wonderin' if I should knock on your door, let ya know I was thinking about lunch."

The witch intuitively puts a hand over her stomach. Her body apparently demanded a proper meal now, considering all she had for dinner was soda and snacks. And that was around half a day ago, she mused. "Um, sure. What's for lunch?"

"We could grab our IDs and get some free takeout from the campus cafeteria." The man pauses mid-suggestion to the sight of his roommate shaking her head.

"I wouldn't be ready to walk that far for at least another hour. I'm still downloading my spirit."

The concept was so alien to the werewolf that he couldn't help chuckling. "Wow. How early do you have to wake up when classes start at 8AM?"

"Uh, around six? I keep hitting the snooze for about an hour until I finally crawl outta bed." Skye's eyes widen for a brief moment, then she glances at her feet, scratching her head sheepishly. "Oh, right! I forgot to ask about this. Have you ever heard my phone buzzing? Does it bother you? My dad always nagged at me for this."