Chapter 51: Flame Meet Flame!

Start from the beginning

"Both participants will use three Pokemon! The gym leader is not allowed to make substitutions but the challenger may. Now, Flannery, please throw out your first Pokemon!"

"Slugma, let's light this place up!"

Out came a red magma-looking slug with giant oval-shaped yellow eyes, bubbling with fiery activity. It looked like something from the mouth of a volcano, but also unlike anything that Lucas had seen before with the yellow eyes.

Slugma, The Lava Pokemon.

Slugma does not have any blood in its body. Instead, intensely hot magma circulates throughout this Pokémon's body, carrying essential nutrients and oxygen to its organs.

"Alright, let's go, Zorua!"

Zorua jumped from its Pokeball onto the earthy battlefield, scraping the battlefield with its claws and kicking dust into the blowing breeze. The referee looked to both competitors, each eager to get started,

"Battle begin!"

"Alright, Slugma, use Sunny Day!"

Slugma started to move around as it called in the sun to shine down upon them, making Slugma's dripping pools of magma glisten in the bright light. But, now Zorua had to take advantage before Slugma started to deal any serious firepower.

"Rush forwards and use Bite!"

Slugma tried to avoid Zorua's bite as it rushed forwards. However, its sluggish speed meant that it took the full brunt of the physical attack. But, Zorua took some damage at the same time, its teeth being burnt by the extremely hot magma. It backed away from Slugma, its teeth aching and distracting it, giving Flannery the opportunity for an attack.

"Rock Throw!", she shouted, with Slugma using the ground as a way to send Zorua into the air. The ground beneath it was plucked by Slugma, causing Zorua to fall off balance and jump away. Then, Slugma threw the rock down at Zorua. But, Zorua had climbed rocks before, and Lucas knew that it could do it.

"Zorua, you know what to do!"

Zorua hopped onto the rock with relative ease and then rushed down to Slugma. Flannery was quite surprised to see Zorua be such an excellent climber and was even more surprised to see dark energy emitting from its claws.

"Sucker Punch!", Lucas called out, with Zorua nodding and punching forwards through Slugma, dealing a critical strike when Slugma was most vulnerable. But, despite it, Slugma was not yet done with fighting. Flannery figured that it was time for the final gambit.

"Overheat!", she called out. Slugma suddenly began to glow, bursting with a fiery energy that Lucas had never seen with such intensity before. It would've been amazing, had it not been his Pokemon that was being subject to it. But, Lucas quickly came up with a makeshift plan of attack.

"Zorua, use that rock as cover!", Lucas yelled, with Zorua making its way over to the rock and rolling into a ball just small enough to be completely obscured by the rock. Then, Slugma exploded with fiery energy all around, with the energy coursing through the entirety of the radius. The rock nullified some of the damage, but the rock began to shatter from the sheer strength of the Overheat. Zorua had to make a move fast if it wanted to avoid a full blast from the Overheat. Lucas thought of the best thing to do to avoid the most amount of damage, and he came up with an idea.

"Zorua, jump up onto the rock then jump into the air!"

Zorua did as it was asked and jumped up onto the rock, the Overheat starting to do serious damage to its claws. But, regardless, it pressed on and jumped into the air, where the Overheat couldn't reach it because of its horizontal range, rather than vertical range. Now, Slugma looked up to Zorua, who had a grin from ear to ear. Zorua dived down on Slugma and Lucas yelled,