Close your eyes

Tanjiro resumed his place in line, the day passing overhead as he waited. He watched as Armin struggled but eventually succeeded and then helped Mikasa try and console Eren. Thomas and Mina did well, easily balancing, and Boar Head balanced perfectly, throwing his arms into the air and yelling triumphantly until the commander came to shut him up.

And at last it was almost nighttime and Tanjiro had reached near the front of the line. There were only a few cadets left, mostly those who had failed and were trying again and again for success. And one of those, in Tanjiro's line, was Zenitsu.

The boy was whimpering and sniffling pitifully, so much that Tanjiro almost started to feel bad for him. He put a hand on his shoulder, making Zenitsu jump.

"W-Wha—oh! Tanjiro! You're here!"

As the man in front of him went, Zenitsu glanced up and tears, again, started running from his eyes.

"Oh! Oh, Tanjiro, I failed! Totally and completely failed! I looked down and started overthinking everything and then I fell and I got this awful bleeding bump on my head!" He tenderly brushed his bangs back to show Tanjiro a tiny red spot near his hairline.

"Calm down," Tanjiro tried gently, raising his hands defensively. "That doesn't look that bad!"

"Whaaaaat?" Zenitsu yelped, hurt. "That's so awful of you! It's clearly a mortal wound! I knew I'd die here! And you're going to witness it when..." he glanced back towards the machine and was horrified to see the man in front of him was being lowered back down after balancing perfectly. "Right now! Right now I'm gonna dieeeee!!!"

"Zenitsu!" Tanjiro yelled, clamping down two hands firmly on the yellow haired boy's shoulders. "Calm down! You're hyperventilating! You're gonna pass out!"

"I hope I do! I'm sure I'd do better asleep!"

"What!? What are you taking about?"

"I wouldn't overthink it! But now... now I feel betteeeeeer so I won't even pass ouuuuuuut!"

Tanjiro let go, thinking, and the assistant called to Zenitsu to step up. The boy went sadly and stood, sniffling, while he was being hooked up to the machine.

"Zenitsu!" Tanjiro finally called as the boy was lifted off the ground. "Close your eyes!"

"What!? Are you crazy!?"

"Just do it!" Tanjiro wasn't even sure he was right, but he knew there was no way Zenitsu was balancing in the state he was in. He softened his expression and whispered, "trust me," And Zenitsu relented, closing his eyes softly.

As his feet left the ground his arms started waving and he almost opened his eyes, but he scrunched his face and kept them closed. As he floated in the air perfectly, his arms stopped flailing and his legs stopped kicking. It was like he naturally knew where to put his balance so as to not fall.

"Pass!" the assistant called, lowering the crank. Zenitsu's eyes flew open and he looked around in confusion. Finally his eyes locked with Tanjiro's and then red headed boy gave him a affirmative smile. His face lit up as he was being unhooked and he ran over to Tanjiro once loose and threw his arms around him.

"Ohhhhh! Oh Tanjiro! I did it! How did you know!?"

"I didn't."

"What?" Zenitsu frowned, then let go as the assistant called Tanjiro up.

"How did you balance?" he hissed as he walked past the yellow haired boy.

"I'm sorry. I don't really know!"

"That's okay. I'm just glad you passed."