Urokodaki

Instead of joining the refugees when they landed, Tanjiro snuck away to follow the map with Nezuko. She walked slower than usual, often getting distracted by flowers or pretty signs, like an animal. He had to practically drag her along once they got out of town and walked through a flower field.

She's definitely not the same. It's like I'm not even with my sister anymore. I hope whoever we're going to meet can help her.

After hours of walking, a house finally came into view on the horizon. It was a small cottage, at the foot of a much bigger mountain that had come into view long before. Tanjiro wouldn't usually be that tired, after all, he was used to long trips, but after having to drag his sister along the whole way, his arm was aching.

Nezuko didn't seem tired though. Once Tanjiro stopped at the door, she kept walking, surprised when he pulled her back.

"Make sure to be respectful," he whispered to her before reaching up and giving the door a swift knock.

Immediately it swung open, revealing a man in a blue haori and red goblin mask standing over them.

Wha—what's with the mask?

Tanjiro tried to keep a straight face as the man looked both of them over, then asked, "who are you?"

"Um, this letter...ah!" He dug through his pocket, quickly finding the letter and handing it to Urokodaki, who, without hesitation, opened it and scanned the words.

He looked over the top of the paper at Nezuko. "So that girl's a Titan?"

"I think she can't turn into one," Tanjiro explained. "But I don't know how."

"If Giyuu really sent you my way, that must be true." Urokodaki sighed through his red mask. "What do you want?"

"Sorry?"

"In his letter, he says for me to keep you and your sister safe. But what is it that you want?"

"I..."

What do I want? To keep Nezuko safe. No, more than that, I want to heal her. And the only way to do that is to find out more information about the Titans.

"I want to go to the cadets." He squeezed Nezuko's hand in his and she gently squeezed back. "I want to join the scouts, and find out how to cure my sister!"

Urokodaki nodded. "Then come inside."