Ch. 13: Split Decisions

Start from the beginning

"I must decline. Jacerys and I have a sparring lesson." Daemon raised and eyebrow and smirked.

"Sparring? Since when did my sweet daughter spar?" Daemon calling her his daughter did not sit well in her stomach but she walked down the stairs toward him.

"Since when was I your sweet daughter?" Alaesys took the cup of wine and took a large gulp. She couldn't stop the look of disgust from washing over face at the strong taste. Daemon patter her back and laughed.

"Of course. I could give you lessons." Daemond leaned against the fireplace and looked at the girl. She has blossomed into a lovely woman and reminded him so much of a young Rhaenerya. She had once been a quiet and timid child but now she was quick to bite back.

"Maybe another time, uncle." Daemon sucked his teeth and looked into the fire. She never managed to hit him low where it hurt. "Mother asked for you." Alaesys took another swig of the drink and scowled the same as before, handing the glass to Daemon instead. "Sorry."

~

Down by the beach is where the boys always trained. The soldiers would try and instruct them as best as they could but nothing really showed progress like a good old fashion fight. Alaesys had changed from her gown and into dark sparring armor. She had to plead with her mother to get it crafted but it was worth every coin. The other armor was always so clunky on her frame.

The red undershirt she wore kept that coldness from biting into her skin. Laenors necklace still dangled from her neck as it had all those years ago. Lucerys saw his sister from across the bay and waved her over.

Alaesys snatched Luke in a headlock and ruffled his head. He struggled to get out of her grasp and managed to pull away but not before busting his arse on the sand. Jacerys laughed at his younger brother, until Alaesys did the exact same to him. He was two inches taller than his sister now but she would continuously bully him every chance she got.

"Alright, alright!" Jace pulled away and tried to fix his hair. He grabbed a sword from the ground and tossed it to his sister. It was a wooden practice sword and felt clunky in her hand. "Alaesys your..." his voice trailed off as he pointed to the thin white choker that covered Ally's throat. She put her fingers over the cloth and Lucerys came from behind her and gently untied it.

She covered the scar with her hand for a few seconds and looked at her palm as well. She still suffered many a night with pain in her finger tips. The maesters had not softened the blow with their diagnosis. She would quite possibly lose mobility in her hand by the time she hit her mothers age. The suggested taking it sooner but she could still hold things and still spar so she declined.

She had grown very self-conscious of the scar on her throat. It was not noticeable at first glance her when strangers paid attention, they whispered about her. Lucerys tucked her collar into his pocket and gave her a smile.

"I think you are ugly with or without it." Like teased. Alaesys gasped and grabbed onto the boys collar and rough housed him to the ground. He was usually such a sweet boy but siblings would tease. Jacerys dog-piled on top of Lucerys and the two older siblings had the boy screaming for mercy.

Daemon watched from the bridge as his children sparred late into the evening. Alaesys had not been battling long so she still tripped over her messy footwork. She was a quick learner however. The three children were all panting and sweaty by the time dinner time came around. They shoved each other on their way to the dinner table. Rhaenerya was sitting at the head of the table when they came in. All of them expected for her to still be in bed.

"Mother you should be resting." Alaesys reminded her. Rhanerya waved her off.

"I will be fine. What a finer time to eat with family than after the birth of a sibling." Rhaenerya smiled and ushered the cooks to bring the food. Alaesys sat beside Joffrey and Jace. She ruffled the young boys hair and kissed him on the head, asking how his day studying had went.

Rhaenerya and Daemon were quiet all through dinner, only looking at each other every once and awhile. Baela and Jace were making small talk and Luke and Joffrey were bickering over something or another. Rhaenerya stood from the table, using her hands to keep balance.

"We received a letter from King's Landing." Alaesys suddenly wasn't very hungry anymore. She dropped her fork and looked at her mother. "A marriage proposal, for our beautiful daughter, Alaesys." Now the Princess definitely wasn't hungry. She wiped her mouth and look at her mother, waiting for her to continue.

"Prince Aemond asks for your hand in marriage. His brother, Aegon has alwready been married, near 5 months ago." Alaesys laughed behind her hand and shook her head. Daemon played with his fingers and always shared a chuckle. "But I will not send-"

"I'll go." Alaesys was quick to respond and took a sip of her water. Her brothers and father both shouted a unison "no".

Alaesys sipped her drink and sat back in her chair, lifting a drink to her father.

"Cheers, 'father'."