Chapter 15: Promises to Keep

Start from the beginning

"Ozzy! Eleven years of this is not new!"

"Compared to our twenty-four years, that is a significant difference."

C glanced back at the closed door.

"Oz. May I please speak to my friend?"

Oz separated her hands and pressed her fingertips together.

"Yes. We may."

She pressed her palms against each other.

"Seal of Isolation," she whispered.

The room froze and grayed out in a sphere around the duo.

C sighed and pulled down her hood.

A head of poofy, brown locks sprung free. She tucked them behind her ears, revealing tan skin and brown eyes.

Oz's hands separated to turn up the two lamps' brightness, completely illuminating her pale face.

"It's been a while since we've done this. I hope you remember how to pronounce my name, Caterina."

"I can't forget it, Awe-zar-dough."

"Well done. Now what did you want to know?"

Caterina sighed and furrowed her brows.

"Azardokht, I'm concerned that you're letting May-te use you."

"It's pronounced Mai-teh."

"I apologize."

"You're forgiven."

"Why did you even agree to bring her here? Why did you go back home at all! I remember when Aleksei, Andesh, and I left with you, you said to only look back if you had regrets!"

"And did you look back?" Azarkdokth questioned.

"I did...but you physically went back! I've kept my mouth shut for eleven years but now I want to know why!"

Azardokht softly exhaled.

"Dad found me half a year before I left."

Catie gasped.

"How?!"

Azardokht shook her head.

"I don't know. I tried to find out, but the only clear answer I received was I was missing someone in my Ishgar playhouse. I thought Mom was in danger."

"You trusted that man's words?!"

"Yes, Caterina. I did. And I still do."

"He came and left the guild's territory as he pleased without talking to anyone but your Mom!"

"And me. And Andesh. And Stefanio. No doubt he has conversations with Lady Magdalene and the Masters. The rest he ignores."

"He's not trustworthy!"

"You only believe that because your own father told you not to trust Dad. Or me, for that matter. And yet, you kept coming back to play."

"Because I didn't understand what my father meant back then! Now...I do."

Caterina's eyes watered.

"I understand what he was protecting me from," she whispered.

Azardokht cocked an eyebrow.

"You may leave whenever you wish. The same with Aleksei. Yet neither of you have," she stated monotonously.

"Because you're still our friend. We want to help you."

"But you don't like what I'm doing. Both of you passive-aggressively resist at any chance you get," the black-haired woman stated.

"...Regardless, so you went back because your father incited your mother to be in danger?"